PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axix or Mossberg 100 ATR

mrwgafun
01-25-2012, 05:14 PM
What would you do.? I thought I was dead set on getting a Savage AXIS in 308 with a scope. It's supposed to be very accurate and I thought I could get one with a scope included for less then $300. Unfortunately no one seems to have them in my area (Atlanta) for that price. Gallery of Guns doesn't even have them in stock. Dicks has them for $359 in camo but that is more then I wanted to spend.

I can get a Mossberg 100 ATR with a scope for the same price. If I went through Gallery of Guns I could get the ATR for $300. Plus the ATR has fluted barrel and adjustable trigger. So... my question is which gun is more accurate? Is one a better quality gun over the other?

What to you think?

Blue Avenger
01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
:o :o :o burn him at the stake for asking! ;D either can be barreled at the same cost if they fail.

mrwgafun
01-25-2012, 09:13 PM
that's not helping failing didn't even enter my mind. Why is the Axis so hard to get at the low cost everyone talks about?

Blue Avenger
01-25-2012, 11:28 PM
why lower the price if it sell at the high one? sales are for getting rid of over stock or baiting you into the store. There never in any good sales at gander or cabelas in my area either.

squarebob
01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Go to Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna and if they don't have it in stock, order it and they will have it in a few days. I just got mine there. 308 with scope $299.99

bulldawg21981
01-26-2012, 12:35 AM
What would you do.? I thought I was dead set on getting a Savage AXIS in 308 with a scope. It's supposed to be very accurate and I thought I could get one with a scope included for less then $300. Unfortunately no one seems to have them in my area (Atlanta) for that price. Gallery of Guns doesn't even have them in stock. Dicks has them for $359 in camo but that is more then I wanted to spend.

I can get a Mossberg 100 ATR with a scope for the same price. If I went through Gallery of Guns I could get the ATR for $300. Plus the ATR has fluted barrel and adjustable trigger. So... my question is which gun is more accurate? Is one a better quality gun over the other?

What to you think?

I would go with the Savage Axis , actually you should be able to order what you want from dicks . They should have a gun catalog on the gun counter with all available guns that they have available with prices . At my local dicks you can get the Savage Axis without the scope for 289.99 . Better deal I think , than paying 379.99 for a junk scope .

J.Baker
01-26-2012, 04:01 AM
Because the Axis is selling faster than Savage can build them, thus dealers don't need to sell them at a sale price to clear out stagnant inventory.

LHitchcox
01-26-2012, 09:14 AM
WalMart sells the Axis for $267 and has the package Accutrigger Savage for $400. The package scope is junk, but you may find it useful on a rimfire. I am amazed at the number of guys that buy an Axis for $250-$300 and then add an aftermarket trigger for about $100. That puts them in the range of the Savage Accutrigger Package at WalMart. Of course my being left handed knocks me out of the package deal- right hand only. To special order the same rifle in left hand without the scope runs about $525.

farmer44mag
01-26-2012, 01:40 PM
run from mossberg- just run :o

I read one page of reviews on them and just about every one of them had a broken fireing pin and all kinds of other issues. Sounded like a gun that shot under an inch was a rarity as well.

I have yet to hear of an Axis that won't shoot under an inch.

mrwgafun
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
It sounds like I'll be going to Adventure Outdoors to see if they have that Axis. I've bought a few guns from them and they are pretty easy to deal with.

Thanks Everyone!

Jericho
01-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Academy has the Axis in 223 for $269.99, but I think its the only caliber they carry in that rifle.

rooster57
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
farmer44mag is right...run far and fast from the Mossberg. I was thinking of recomending one myself to a friend and read the reviews about broken firing pins. Then luckily I found the Axis now own (2) 7m-08 and .223

mrwgafun
02-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Well I finaly picked it up. Had to get it from Wallyworld for $269 no scope though. None one in my area has it at a good price.

Thank you all for your help!

762X51
02-07-2012, 12:10 PM

What to you think?

As advised RUN. RUN quickly from the ATR. My brother has one in .308 and it is essentially a single shot since it will not feed worth a darn. Rounds pop out of the magazine prematurely. Tinkered with it until we're ready to burn it. It's a common problem from my understanding. My buddy's Edge in .270 feeds perfectly which is more than I can say for the model 16 FCSS I owned. Savage really seems to have hit a home run with the Axis.