PDA

View Full Version : Swaping mags on DBM bottom cap.... (how)

jhelmuth
01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Hey guys,

I have a question on swaping the magazine (both centerfeed) on the bottom metal of the DBM set up. What I want to accomplish is to try my SA VLP .243 (blind mag stock) action/barrel in my HS Precision stock that came with my .223 LRPV (I'm attempting to compare the stocks with respect to accuracy). So I want to remove the existing centerfeed .223 magazine from the bottom metal and replace it with the mag in the stock of the VLP of the .243 (this VLP has the blind mag without the DBM).

Any help is appreciated....

jhelmuth
01-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Still an interesting question.... but I just ordered another DBM in .243/.308 from CenterFireGuns.

pdog06
01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Kinda confused as to what you are actually asking? The title talks about a DBM but the guns you listed say blind mag.

Does your LRPV have a DBM, or is it a blind mag also. If its a DBM then you just need to swap out the barreled actions and buy a 243/308 detachable magazine for it. The bottom metal and magazine frame is the same.

jhelmuth
01-25-2012, 05:49 PM
I may be mistaken, so I'll apologize for anything I've said (or am about to say) inaccurately...

[1] DBM - Detachable Box Magazine. Uses a bottom plate with the magazine attached which allows the user to detach from the rifle.

[2] LRPV - comes in either a single shot or DBM and uses the HS Precision stock.

[3] VLP - comes with a laminted stock, some of which were DBM and some were without (Blind Mag).

[4] Bling Mag - Magazine which is internal to the stock and is not detachable.

Here is a DBM magazine assembly...

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/14618.jpg

Hard to "show" a blind mag (as it's not easily displayed in the stock).

sharpshooter
01-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Still confused as well. Blind magazines are not attached to any bottom metal. If it's blind, it's just wedged into the cavity in the stock. If it has a hinged floor plate, the box snaps into the frame.

jhelmuth
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
A blind mag still has a magazine. My understanding is that these will attach to the bottom metal of the DBM (thereby making a change from blind mag to DBM possible).

Maybe someone can clarify how I should have asked this, but it's as simple as I think I stated. How do I get the magazine off the bottom metal (of the DBM) so I can swap it with the magazine from a blind mag rifle?

whit
01-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Depress the sides of the DBM near the bottom and pull the front edge of the mag bottom away. There is a tab on the rear of the bottom that locks into the mag.

sharpshooter
01-25-2012, 11:23 PM
You need to brush up on your nomenclature. The part you are referring to is the magazine bottom cap. Blind magazines do not have a bottom cap. Typically when one refers to "bottom metal" they are talking about the magazine frame or hinged floorplate assembly.

jhelmuth
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification, I obviously picked up some bad terminology along the way. I did know that Blind mags have no bottom cap (other than the wood floor of the stock itself) - not sure how anyone read into that (if they did).

Anyway.... tried "squeezing" the sides of the magazine and that did not work. As mentioned earlier, I've already ordered a new DBM mag in .243/.308 so that solves my problem. I still think this is a good question as I do know that there is information out there which clearly states you can use the magazine from a blind mag rifle to attach to the DBM bottom cap in a conversion from Blind mag to DBM.

sharpshooter
01-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Removing the bottom cap from a .223 mag is a little more difficult, as it has a step down bend close to the bottom of the magazine which makes it less flexible. The easiest way to compress it is with channel locks. There is a tab on both sides and one tab at the rear. Once you compress the sides to release the side tabs, move the mag box forward to clear the rear tab. To re-install, start the rear tab first then sqeeze the sides in to engage the side tabs. After you do it once, it will seem simple.

earl39
01-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Let's see if i have this right. Not talking about the new DBM'a savage is going to release that use the AI mags. So you take the factory detachable mag (4 rounds ) and remove the bottom plastic and you have a centerfeed hidden mag that you only need the L-clip for to make it work as an internal mag? All this with little or no mod to the mag other than removal of the bottom piece? Does this work for all calibers and if not what calibers does it not work for?

jhelmuth
01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
That is my understanding from reading several posts out of some google searching. I was interested in sort of the opposite - making a Detachable Box Magazine from a blind magazine (only) simply by removing the magazine from the mag well and adding a bottom cap. I have 2 model 12s - a VLP (in .243) without the DBM feature (so it just has the internal stock magazine which I understand is commomly refered to as a blind mag setup) and an LRPV (in .223) with the DBM. The DBM (Detachable Box Magazine) stock incorporates a frame in the bottom of the stock to "hold" the DBM. Originally I was going to take the internal .243 magazine from the VLP and swap it with the .223 mazine by removing the bottom cap from it and installing the .243 magazine to it. I eneded up just buying a new bottom cap and .243 magazine.