PDA

View Full Version : nuther one, 24" 270win

bajabill
01-25-2012, 11:32 AM
I posted almost a year ago about too many barrels and not enough actions to put them on. Well, I added another last year but the barrels kept finding their way to my door. I think I need to help me from myself, or maybe something is in the works already - my paid membership is due to expire. We will see how long I am able to live without monitoring the classifieds. But, I was almost back in the same predicament as I was last year, just bigger numbers with the same ratio. This gives me 4 savage guns, not enough to keep most of the barrels ready, but enough for me to feasibly play with at one time.

Yesterday, I broke down and bought a right handed savage, the first one. Cabelas has the accutrigger 111 with gray laminate stock for 400 and I took a 270win home with me. Got tired of watching for a used LH to show up at my favorite gunshop - probably got lucky with the one I found last year. That is a chambering I dont really need, but dont have it so I will keep it. As a left handed shooter, working from the bench with a right handed bolt action is actually pretty convenient and I just will not take this gun hunting with me.

barrel-nut
01-25-2012, 02:04 PM
As Eric in NC noted on another thread, most of us seem to be hoarders by nature. Not a bad thing necessarily. I suffer from the same affliction. Always more barrels than actions. BTW, great deal on the 111. If I had a Cabelas nearby, I'd snag one too!

bajabill
01-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I did not read the flyer too closely last week, but I apparently missed out on a 257roberts. They were sold out, and that is a chambering I really have wanted for a while. How long has savage offered this barrel, anyone have a take off they want to part with?

bajabill
02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
The surprises just keep on coming. I never noticed till I was cleaning the bore and my rod did not poke out as far as I expected. But I have a 24" 270 win factory barrel. I never knew they made them.

nsaqam
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
The 270 WCF should always come in a 24" tube.

I won't have one with less.

bajabill
02-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree that I think the 270 needs/benifits from the 24, but Savage doesn't usually provide it.

I never even imagined that a 24" barrel would be on this one. I assumed I was buying a 270 donor rifle because that was a barrel I did not have and would not have to sell off, but now its a barrel I am happy to keep. It gets me to wonder if this round of cabelas exclusives would have a 24" 30-06?