PDA

View Full Version : savage 110 20 moa base for 7mm wsm

jcode
01-25-2012, 05:42 AM
I'm getting my rifle back from my gun smith this Sunday!!! I have read a lot of threads on here about the egw base and others. My rig is savage 110 flat rear receiver Krieger 27" #10 barrel chambered in 7mm wsm. It seems everyone talks about aluminum base being ok for light recoil. My question is steel or aluminum? I want to use 30mm Burris signature zee series rings I think medium if i can ever find any in stock. I have also heard because of the inserts that they might not be good for heavy recoil. Is this true? I want a base and ring set up that i don't have to worry about changing ever. My scope is a vortex viper pst. Thanks for your knowledge and help.

helotaxi
02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
The base and rings will be fine. The base isn't weak point anyway, the screws mounting it are. The EGW is a nice base (I have several) but it lacks a recoil lug that indexes in the ejection port to take the recoil stress off the mounting screws. If you're worried about the scope slipping in the insert, and you don't need to be, put a little rosin on them before installing the scope.

With all that said, the 7mm WSM isn't exactly a howitzer round and the recoil isn't horrid. There are guys on the forum here and elsewhere using the Burris Sig Zee rings with REAL hard kickers and not having any problems.

Blue Avenger
02-18-2012, 10:43 AM
No problem with a big Burris 8x32 sig on a .300wm. Did find out 20 moa was to much for a gun used at 300 and under