PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Springfield Savage Model 511 12 guage shotgun questions

12many
01-24-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm new to this site and I'm trying to help a friend that doesn't have regular access to the internet.
He recently purchased a Springfield Savage Model 511 12 gage sid by side shotgun.
He is wanting to know approximate date of manufacture (sorry he didn't give me a S/N when we spoke, but I can probably get that) and if the front bead sight is threaded or soldered on the bbl.
Thanks to all & I hope this is the right forum to get a couple of answers

dogngun
02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I have owned several of the 511's and I believe many did not have SN's...If they were made before 1968, many shotguns and .22 rifles did not have them-they were not required. They are pretty solid field guns and a lot of them are used for Cowboy Action shooting after a few modifications. They were made in huge numbers over a long time period...it is the same basic gun as the 311, newer versions of the Fox Model B, etc, with lower grade wood...in some cases, plastic. It was sold as lower cost version of the Stevens/ Savage 311.
Again, it is a serviceable shotgun with no frills and will probably last forever.
I have read that it should not be taken apart...the forearm screws into the barrels and there is a pin holding the barrel assembly to the frame that has to be tapped out. Just clean it as it is.

mark