PDA

View Full Version : modle 11 300wsm acuracy

damians
01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
I have a model 11 in 300wsm and i cant get it to group very well at all. It seems to shoot about 3 inches around the bullseye in either direction at 100 yards. i have tried diferent factory ammo in different grain bullets with about the same results. i have also had 2 different scopes on this rifle. dont really kknow what to do to make it better. i cant afford a bunch of new stuff for it, or a bunch of ammo for that matter. any ideas? Thanks.

ellobo
01-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Things to check that may help. Are the scope mount screws tight? The very front screw may be hitting the barrel and not holding the mount down tight. Are the action screws tight? Is the barrel free floated? After checking the afore mentioned stuff run a pc of paper down the barrel channel to see if the barrel is touching the stock. If it is, loosen the mounting bolts and wrap some paper around the barrel and tighten the screws, then remove the paper. If that doesnt work then you have to determine where the barrel is hitting the stock and sand it out, probably full length is best. If a wood stock, oil the bare wood to seal it. If still no improvement come back here for more information.

El Lobo

rusty815
01-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Whats your set up? Are you shooting from a bipod, bags? Is the rifle all factory?

damians
01-24-2012, 05:31 PM
rifle is all stock. has a laminated stock. ran a piece of paper down and it is not touching the barrel. scope rings are tight. i will have to check that front bolt. i didnt mount the scope but i did on my 30-06 savage and noticed that shorter screw for the front. maybe whoever mounted the scope mounts did not. i have tried to move it with my hands and didnt notice but with the heavy recoil i suppose it might.

damians
01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
im shooting off of a rest. action screws?

handirifle
01-24-2012, 06:11 PM
You will not usually be able to move the front mount when the screw is too long. You have to remove the scope. Nothing to lose since it won't zero anyway.

If those are tight, then I have to ask if the scope is new or if it's been used on another rifle, and has proven reliable, if not it may be suspect.

No disrespect meant here, but you say, "shooting off a rest". Is this a solid bench rest, or something rigged up? Have you shot a rifle with this much recoil? Not much more than an '06 but sometimes a little more is too much. Have you tried letting someone else shoot this rifle? If not be sure to use someone that you are sure is a pretty good shot, with the magnums.

A little flinch can move a bullet a long way at 100yds. Again, not meant to insult, just trying to touch all bases here.

kkeene
01-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you are doing the right thing to trouble shoot it. Also have a second person to shoot it. These can have enough recoil to cause a flinch.

Sometimes a bad Savage gets out of the factory, I have had to send one back to get it fixed. Give Savage a call before you do anything that can't be reversed.

Good luck.

gotcha
01-25-2012, 12:37 AM
You mentioned 300WM w/ laminated stock. Is this a Savage stock? Savage site shows no 300WM w/ laminated stock. I guess it may have been offered at one time or another ??? Check to see if the tang of action is binding against the stock. Remove enough wood that you can pass a doubled over dollar bill around the entire tang when the action screws are tightened. Tang on the Savage should "float". ........... Excellent advise above. Try all the ideas.

gotcha
01-25-2012, 01:00 AM
damians, One more suggestion............. Try dry firing your rifle between rounds to insure your cross hairs do not budge from your target. If the cross hairs move when dry firing look into improving your rest and/or your hold until you get no movement what-so-ever. No disrespect here but when my groups open up 9 times out of 10 it's me ::) and dry firing doesn't lie. Let us know how it goes :)

ellobo
01-25-2012, 02:02 AM
To answer your question, the action screws are the screws that hold the action in the stock and are just forward of the trigger guard. The one in the rear of the trigger guard is just a wood screw and does not need tightening unless it is really loose.

El Lobo

damians
01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
thanks for all the help! i will let you know what happens next time i get out and shoot.