PDA

View Full Version : Turn a repeating action into a single shot?

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Has anyone ever taken a long action repeater, removed the magazine and made a single shot action? I am thinking you could epoxy a single shot follower into the bottom of the action, but I have no idea if this is feasible. The reason I am thiinking of doing this is so I dont have to deal with the single shot folower sitting on top of the magazine follower, plus it would allow me to add some lead to the mag well to increase the weight of the gun. It will be fired mainly from the bench.

Thanks!

bythebook
01-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Torchrider, I did that with a long action. The little lip broke off of the mag box when I took it out. I really wanted a single shot any way so I epoxy a single shot adapter in. I used 2 little dots of rubber cement, 1 in the front and 1 in the back to hold it until I got the epoxy in place. I then took the rubber cement out and replaced it with epoxy. It works great so far.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Torchrider, I did that with a long action. The little lip broke off of the mag box when I took it out. I really wanted a single shot any way so I epoxy a single shot adapter in. I used 2 little dots of rubber cement, 1 in the front and 1 in the back to hold it until I got the epoxy in place. I then took the rubber cement out and replaced it with epoxy. It works great so far.

Thanks. Which adapter did you use? Did you encase the whole adapter or just run epoxy around the edges? Do you remember what epoxy you used?

jo191145
01-23-2012, 08:15 PM
I've never done it but would consider trying a hot glue gun.
At least if you changed your mind it would be easier to remove.

jpdown
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Just order a Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) Single Shot Ramp. Fits the Savage center feed action like a glove. It can also be used in a stagger feed if you trim a little off the rear of the ramp. A touch of epoxy at the rear keeps it in place. Then you can do away with the magazine box and follower and fill the stock well with lead for extra weight.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Just order a Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) Single Shot Ramp. Fits the Savage center feed action like a glove. It can also be used in a stagger feed if you trim a little off the rear of the ramp. A touch of epoxy at the rear keeps it in place. Then you can do away with the magazine box and follower and fill the stock well with lead for extra weight.

Does the SSS follower go in from the top or bottom? I have a staggered feed action so would need to dremel it some I guess.

KRP
01-23-2012, 10:11 PM
You don't have to mess with the action if you fill and contour the magazine inlet, essentially making the follower part of the stock. I've got a couple repeater actions in single shot stocks.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 11:01 PM
You don't have to mess with the action if you fill and contour the magazine inlet, essentially making the follower part of the stock. I've got a couple repeater actions in single shot stocks.

I am intrigued but confused. Can you explain the process and perhaps show some photos? The stock I have is the b&c duramaxx with blind mag.

82boy
01-23-2012, 11:51 PM
I have done it to a few guns. I use the SSS centerfeed magazine single shot adapter. I pulled the mag box off then fitted the follower to the action. In one gun I glued it on, the other SSS took a couple of pieces of band saw blade and wedged it into the cuts for the magazine box, and it holds the foller tight. Works great!

KRP
01-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Imagine a single shot stock, no inlet for the mag box so it's just an action diameter inlet from front to back. Put a repeater action into it and the stock is like a tray where the mag/follower would ordinarily be. You may have to shim/build up the bottom of the tray a little inside the mag cutout in the action so the cartridge sits a little higher and slides over the feed ramp smoothly. You could do it with some epoxy/resin/etc. but I think I just used a strip of 1/8" thick foam tape on my 6BR.

Get a piece of pipe/tube/bar that's action diameter and a bit shorter than the action. Add your weight to the mag well and then use the pipe to bed over top of it. Now your weight is held in place and you have a nice smooth tray where the mag inlet used to be.

pdog06
01-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Since you are already gonna fill the magwell and bed the action, you can always just set a score-hi follower in the bedding.

Set the action in as you would in a normal bedding job, set the follower in and make sure it is the correct height, and let it set up as normal. When it all sets up the follower stays in the bedding. Done.

This way you will never have to mess with the follower again. I tried this with a custom Striker stock and it worked flawlessly.

jglover_81
01-24-2012, 11:54 AM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,47753.0.html

This is what I did. Yes it was a single shot stock to start with but if your going to fill the mag opening then it would be basically the same.

TORCHRIDER
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Those are great ideas. However, for some reason I have never bedded an action and frankly for some reason find it a daunting prospect. I guess I am afraid of screwing it up and runing a stock and action. The single shot follower just adds another level of complexity and fear. :-\ Is there a good tutorial anywhere on bedding a savage/stevens action? I am sure once I get one under my belt it will not be an issue.

Thanks,

Dave

pdog06
01-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Here ya go. There are some great technicle how-to articles on the forum homepage

http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Stock Bedding 101

jo191145
01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Those are great ideas. However, for some reason I have never bedded an action and frankly for some reason find it a daunting prospect. I guess I am afraid of screwing it up and runing a stock and action. The single shot follower just adds another level of complexity and fear. :-\ Is there a good tutorial anywhere on bedding a savage/stevens action? I am sure once I get one under my belt it will not be an issue.

Thanks,

Dave

You have the preferred mindset Dave. Its the poor fools who are not nervous than end up in trouble. ;D ;D

Kiwi clear shoe polish. Best release agent ever devised by man ;)

Now if I was gonna permenently bed a single shot follower into a stock I would quarentee myself it had some clearence on the action.
I want nothing but the recoil lug handling the recoil.

ShaneG.
01-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I had to do this to my 12BVSS as the stock cracked from the front to the rear pillar for a second time. I made an aluminum vblock and milled out the stock to fit it in then milled a spot in the vblock for a single shot follower to set in,then used a little epoxy to stick it in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/sgregory/20110725065217.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/sgregory/20110725065140.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/sgregory/20110725064733.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/sgregory/20110725065106.jpg

ellobo
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
This single shot follower thing has me wondering. I always shoot single loading when at the bench by simply putting the cartridge over the magazine follower and press it into the magazine with my thumb. All with the right hand (I am right handed). Can someone tell me what the advantage of a single shot follower is?

El Lobo

jo191145
01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Your thumb can take a break. ;D

When I'm really getting down to accuracy I worry about the damage it MIGHT be possible to inflict on the round feeding into the chamber from a mag.
Even with single shot followers I guide the bullet into the chamber with my finger/thumb.
Been doing it that way so long I could'nt tell you which digit is used. Just became part of my natural rythym.
Same with pulling them off the follower. No ejectors in my target guns.

GaCop
01-25-2012, 03:57 AM
Your thumb can take a break. ;D

When I'm really getting down to accuracy I worry about the damage it MIGHT be possible to inflict on the round feeding into the chamber from a mag.
Even with single shot followers I guide the bullet into the chamber with my finger/thumb.
Been doing it that way so long I could'nt tell you which digit is used. Just became part of my natural rythym.
Same with pulling them off the follower. No ejectors in my target guns.

+1, the round slides smoothly into the chamber.

barrel-nut
01-25-2012, 04:16 AM
I feed mine one at a time by just setting the round on top of the feed lips of the center feed magazine, without popping it in. Chambers smoothly, never any problems.