PDA

View Full Version : savage 12bvss barrel vs aftermarket barrel

GSRswapandslow
01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
i'm about to either buy a 12bvss or pick up an action and build a rifle......so my question, how does the 12bvss factory barrel compare to an aftermarket barrel?

it'll be a .223

JW
01-25-2012, 07:15 AM
I had a 223 BVSS factory barrel that shot very well with handloads 1/2" 5 shot groups (sometimes smaller) at 100yds were common
I built another 223 rem with a shilen varmit 26". It does shoot better than the factory, but the factory barrel was nothing to complain about
Jack

seanhagerty
01-25-2012, 10:36 AM
I will agree with Jack. I have a 223 BVSS that I was the most happy about I have ever been with a barrel I got an occasional 1/4" group out of it. More often 1- 1/2", but that thing would out shoot me.

jhelmuth
01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I would say that the aftermarket barrel is typically going to be superior (even the lower $ ones). However... that would depend on the PARTICULAR barrels being compared. The best Savage barrels (large heavy target barrels like on the LRPV or F/TR) will consistently be hard to beat. In any case, every maker of barrels will produce a dud - and conversely a "dream" barrel. So even an aftermarket barrel can "stink" (once in a while). That is where customer service will pay off.

I think either route you chose you won't be dissapointed. A build would be fun and you can get it just how you want it (and maybe for the right price too?) The BVSS is a great Savage and I have to imagine you'd be pleased with it as well.