PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how to make a Duramaxx heavier?

Pages : [1] 2

TORCHRIDER
01-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a B&C Duramaxx heavier? I am shooting a 300 RUM off a bench and would like to make it heavier to alleviate some recoil.

Blue Avenger
01-22-2012, 01:12 PM
add lead

TORCHRIDER
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
add lead

Hey thanks for that insight. Where would you add lead? I believe the recoil pad is glued, not screwed on.

mattri
01-22-2012, 02:56 PM
I have an HSP stock that I added weight to, don't know if it would work with a Duramaxx but here's what I did:

Remove the rear sling swivel.

Using a drill bit slightly smaller than the threaded boss drill down into the hollow cavity of the stock.

Using lead shot, or bb's or whatever you like fill the cavity with them, stop frequently to shake/tap the stock to make sure the shot settles down into all the various crevices etc.

When you are satisfied that the cavity is completely filled with the shot set the stock upside down in a vice of some sort, mask off the area around the hole and pour in fiberglass resin cut with acetone to fill the cavity, making sure to let it settle in between all the shot and the stock.

Let the stock sit overnight, then remove all the masking, clean up any resin and using a little J-B weld replace the rear swivel.

By doing this I added quite a bit of weight to my rifle, it is solid and looks completely stock.

TORCHRIDER
01-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Interesting idea. I will have to look into it. I dont know if the Duramaxx has any type of foam in the butstock, but by the sound of it I think it probably does. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave

KRP
01-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I'd fill the hollows in the forend, the mag inlet(I like single shots), and/or cut the recoil pad off and weight the butt of the stock and then screw the pad back on. Amount of weight desired and balance of the rifle would dictate weight placement.

TORCHRIDER
01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Or maybe I will just by a brake. :o

82boy
01-23-2012, 12:08 AM
add lead

+1

No the recoil pad is screwed on them. Also there is a chanel under the barrel that can hold shot.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 01:53 AM
add lead

+1

No the recoil pad is screwed on them. Also there is a chanel under the barrel that can hold shot.

Really? I don't see any holes at all in the decelerater pad.

moneymaker
01-23-2012, 09:02 AM
sned it back and get a HSPrecision stock ;D

82boy
01-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Yup start rubbing the pad they are there. Take a Phillips screwdriver coated in vasoline, to unsrew them.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 12:17 PM
sned it back and get a HSPrecision stock ;D

Heck maybe I'll just get a McMillan. ;D

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 01:05 PM

Yup start rubbing the pad they are there. Take a Phillips screwdriver coated in vasoline, to unsrew them.

Thanks 82boy. I located and removed the screws and pad. Here is what I am thinking. I will remove the expanded foam that is in there now, then mix some lead shot with epoxy and pour into the butt. Maybe I will do the same for the forend as well. What kind of epoxy should I purchase that is porous enough to mix yet will still harden if i fill the buttstock up?

82boy
01-23-2012, 01:10 PM
I would just take a couple of old socks, and fill them full of shot, and put them in the back. I have used Devcon, and Locktite 5 min epoxy with great sucess.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Are those epoxies thin enough to mix with bb's or lead shot? Will they harden if poured into the stock? I know some epoxies are not meant to be used in such qty. and never harden deep down if used in volume. Are you saying use the socks and epoxy? if so are you saying mix in the sock or put the socks in and put a layer of epoxy over?

82boy
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Are those epoxies thin enough to mix with bb's or lead shot? Will they harden if poured into the stock? I know some epoxies are not meant to be used in such qty. and never harden deep down if used in volume.

It has worked for me.

Are you saying use the socks and epoxy? if so are you saying mix in the sock or put the socks in and put a layer of epoxy over?

Nope, just jamb a sock in it, fill it up, and tie it off. No epoxy.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Are those epoxies thin enough to mix with bb's or lead shot? Will they harden if poured into the stock? I know some epoxies are not meant to be used in such qty. and never harden deep down if used in volume.

It has worked for me.

Are you saying use the socks and epoxy? if so are you saying mix in the sock or put the socks in and put a layer of epoxy over?

Nope, just jamb a sock in it, fill it up, and tie it off. No epoxy.

The sock method would make it removable. Thanks for the tip. :-)

Blue Avenger
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
wax would also work

mattri
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
The resin I used set up great. It is very solid, no movement or sound from the shot. Just cut it thin enough to flow around the shot and give it plenty of time to set up.

TORCHRIDER
01-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Guys, I decided to go permanent with the epoxy. Worked like a champ and added 2 lbs. to the rifle. Balances very nice now. Thanks to all for the advice.