PDA

View Full Version : Another "out of the box" tack driver from Savage

teebirdhyzer
01-22-2012, 01:14 AM
I got a chance this week to purchase a model 11 in .223. The rifle was purchased by another inidividual, but was never shot. It was one of the package models with the cheap simmons 8pt scope and the sling. Even though I didnt need it (need is such a strong word), I picked it up for $350. I cleaned out the barrel, put a simmons 6.5 - 20 x 50 whitetail classic scope on it and grabbed a bunch of different types of reloads and factory ammo today and hit the range. The best group was some Ultramax 50 grain Nosler BT's that it did a three shot group of .375". It also shot a sub 1/2" group with some handloaded 50grain bt's I have for another rifle. Synthetic stock, factory sporter barrel, standard accutrigger with no mods. Man these things can shoot! I can think of all kinds of things I want to customize about it, but with this kind of performance, I may not touch it. Would make a fantastic knock about/coyote rifle. Just thought I would share. Aint it fun! ;D

5spd
01-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Id keep it all stock as it is for a lightweight coyote/varmint/truck gun. You dont need to touch it to make it better than it is already.

teebirdhyzer
01-22-2012, 01:42 AM
I think that's what I will do. I may flex my creative muscle and slap a little Krylon Camo on the stock, but that's about it.

handirifle
01-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Just a small word of advice from a yote hunter, lose the high power scope. With 6.5 being the lowest setting, and you call in a yote, and don't see him till he shows up at 10-20 yards, then all you'll see is fur in the scope. IF you can find him. I wrote a little article about one of those encounters. When he first came in, after about 10 seconds of calling, literally, he was just on the other side of a large juniper bush I was sitting behind.

I finally got him when he backed off, trotted about 10 yards and looked back, fatal mistake, cause I used that time to get the scope on him and the safety off. Crosshairs on the center of the neck, and bang flop. Scope was set at 3X like I always do, until I see something to shoot that's far off.

If I'd had a 6.5x on at that time, I would not have been able to make that shot.

Aircraftmech76
01-22-2012, 03:00 AM
It's for this reason I run a 2-8 Nikon BDC on my 223.

Kevin

bluealtered
01-22-2012, 08:58 AM
I love the wtc for medium to long range work but lower is better when yodie hunting in my area. Two weeks ago i called one in (from behind me of course) he came in about ten feet from me and stopped twenty feet or so in front of me and never saw or smelled me. The problem was that i was using a new ak that i just put a 6-32 compact scope on and couldn't even tell there was fur in front of me. I had to whistle and let him know i was there so he would run and get some distance between us before i could shoot.

As for the package rifles, yep best thing out there for the money. I have one in .243 without the accu-trigger that has made cloverleaf groups since new, i did put a 4-12x40 on it and that is a little to much glass sometimes.

teebirdhyzer
01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
thanks for the scope and yote tips guys. I may put a trijicon accupoint 3 to 9x on it. Nothing wrong with your scope costing 2x what you paid for the rifle is there? ;)

irondog54
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
I mounted a Burris Fast Fire II on the scope for short shots, and it works well on targets to 100 yards. All I gotta do is open my left eye to use it. Check out the pics for details....

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,18964.msg297464.html#msg297464