PDA

View Full Version : 110 BA Second day at the range

gnappi
01-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Yesterday I spent 4 hours getting very disappointed in the rifle yesterday not being able to get rounds under 1 3/4" at only 100 yards. These groups are great for a hunting rifle, and not bad but I hoped for better.

There was a guy next to me with a box stock 700 with factory hunting ammo putting them all in a sub 1" circle. I could almost hear him snickering at my results. We went to check targets and he was using a single target paster to cover his holes. while I was changing chewed up targets.

The previous day my scope mount shook loose and I had a wasted unproductive day.

Anyway... On the last session before the range closed I was tired, sore and did not want to try the last load I had not tried. It's a good thing I did because I hit pay dirt. My last groups were under 3/4" with two 5 shot strings in basically the same hole using some ballistically inferior 180 grain PSP's and 4895.

Now I can't WAIT to try developing loads with superior bullets now that I know what the potential of this rifle is!

I consider myself very fortunate to have found (and was able to afford) this excellent rifle.

olddav
01-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Don't that bring a smile to your face!

teebirdhyzer
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
thats good news. When you get that load tuned up for it, you gotta go find the rem guy and show him whats up!

gnappi
01-21-2012, 12:17 PM
What really surprised me was the preference for the 180 grain bullets.

memilanuk
01-22-2012, 03:38 PM
180s and 4895? Seems like kind of an odd combination...

gnappi
01-22-2012, 03:56 PM
When I get a new rifle, I inventory my bullets and powders and throw a few loads of everything I have that's listed in either the powder or bullet makers load data books I take nothing for granted.

If I can't find anything workable I look to other people for their experiences. I'm lucky I did :-)

carrbque
01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Hello fellow BA owners,

My BA in 300WM will arrive this week, I am so pumped to pick her up.
I do have some questions for those of you that have owned one for awhile.

What handload combos are working the best?
I know that every gun is different, I am just looking for a good starting point.

Also, I was wondering what MOA most of the 300WM are getting.
I havent been able to find what savage guarantees on the BA.
I am sure she will be at least 1" or sub.

Thanks gents

gnappi
01-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Mine in 308 is not anywhere near sub MOA with many loads. Most are between 1.5-2.5" the best (3/4") took some patience. Granted I started working loads with vanilla PSP's but I personally know a number of over the counter $600 rifles that shoot sub MOA or very nearly that with hunting bullets.

My 308 is finicky. I tried four powders and three bullets before hitting the best combination for my gun.

GaCop
01-23-2012, 07:33 AM
How finicky are you about brass prep,ie, uniforming primer pockets and the flash hole, weighing brass? If you have a standard chamber, neck turning brass wouldn't be needed but trimming all to the same length is.

gnappi
01-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Trim to uniform size and seat closer to the rifling yes. I don't prep cases more till I know the potential of a particular round.

Once I do, I'll weigh cases and charges individually, and prep cases more.

carrbque
01-24-2012, 05:00 AM
So does anyone else have any info?
Does anyone else have a ba in 300wm?