PDA

View Full Version : Bench 6.5 X 284 build.

1jonzmith
01-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Friends,

I am going to build the subject rifle. I want to start with a undesignated action that I will register as "pistol". I want the action in stainless unless there is some reason that isn't a good choice.

I want the left hand bolt but that isn't a critical item and cost will be a factor.....how much more is that and how will it limit my other selections?

Right ejection and L or R load?

My hearts set on a Benchmark and Chris has been very helpful. I want stainless.

I believe the "target" action is what I should look for but what would be another good model that might cost less and meet most of my "wish" list?.

The mounting screw spacing seems to come up often and one or the other seems to limit stock choice and cost. I am not entirely clear about this. can someone educate me on this feature?

Thanks for helping me get started.

Thanks for your help and advice,

John

Jamie
01-21-2012, 09:55 AM
The target action is the only bare action they sell and not in the left bolt version. The ATF Form 4473 has three blocks on it, "Long Gun" "Handgun" and "Other". Bare actions get marked as "other". Some states will have different rules for their state forms but the federal form is as stated.

Most of them are 4.40" screw spacing except the dual port model. Not sure what the spacing is but it is different.

trappst
01-21-2012, 10:04 AM
For the action, get with Northlander. He should be able to get you what you need.

As for the stock, I'd start here:

www.tonysforendsandgrips.com

1jonzmith
01-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys.