PDA

View Full Version : HS Precision vs Stockade stock opinions? (Hunting style stocks)

Leon
01-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Hello ladies and gents. I am about to build my first major custom rifle (in about 3-4 weeks) and I need some input on these two stocks. I have never ordered or used any of the two companies products so I was looking for some input about the pros and cons of each. I have not fully decided on a stock yet or even wood or synthetic so I just want to have some info on all of the options in front of me.

I want this rifle to have either a thumb-hole or standard/classic sporter type stock.

For reference here is an overview of my rifle build in case it matters.

Action: Savage 10 Short Action (MAY be converted to DBM system later)

Barrel: Shilen (most likely) 22" fully fluted sporter weight barrel (I'm not real familiar with contour #'s yet)

Caliber: 260 Remington

Trigger: SSS or Rifle Basix

Bolt: Fluted - w/ color inlay depending on final cosmetic choices

Extra: SSS Competition recoil lug

Optics Hardware:
Opt 1: Leupold base w/ Leupold Dovetail rings,
Opt 2: DNZ Gamereaper 1Pc optics mounting system.
Opt 3: Burris Signature rings/bases
Opt 4: Nightforce Rings/bases

Optic:
Opt 1: Leupold VX-III 3.5x 10 x 40mm CDS < ----- Most likely the one I'll buy
Opt 2: Bushnell Elite 4200 3 x 9? x 40mm
Opt 3: Zeiss Conquest 3 x 9 x 40mm
Opt 4: I'm open to suggestions

Price Range: $100-$500(roughly) about 250-400 is the sweet spot. I could likely swing as much as $1,000 on a stock but I would really prefer not to.

Overall use:

This is to be my "go to" full custom, built just for me rifle (That is how the addiction always starts isn't it?)

My main focus on this rifle is to be viable for 300-400 yard shots while maintaining as light a rig as possible. The chances of me needing to shoot game past 200 yards is slim to none at least in the next year or two but I want to have a rifle very capable of extreme accuracy at those distances should the need ever arise. The weight is a MAJOR factor in my stock decision as I really want to keep the stock to no more than 40oz at the VERY most and I would prefer 32oz or less.

That is the overview of the rifle (sorry for being so long, I left out most the parts I figured wouldn't make a difference in the decision.) Now if I could just get some opinions from you guys who have used these stocks, as well as reccomendations in any other direction for the pourpose of filling my criteria for "My Custom Build"

Thanks guys!

Oh yea.....

As far as what I would be hunting (would be helpful eh?) This rifle will see 90% of its use hunting the east coast of the U.S. for Whitetail, Black Bear, and the occasional feral hog. Every so often it will likely be taken out west for longer range (those 200-500 yard shots I was talking about) Mulies, Elk,Antelope and maybe even hunting in the mountains of Alaska. The short version is I need a lightweight rifle for all U.S. game medium to large (excluding the big nasty bears)

This won't be my only major custom but I do plan for it to be my go-to rig for just about everything the U.S. has to offer with the exception of those creatures requiring a little more oomph.

cqh1111
01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
I think you have more choices with Stockade as far as sporter stocks. The wait is still 14-16 weeks. I just ordered a Mule Deer model and a Sporter model for similar builds. The only HS stocks I have, or seen for savages, are for varmint barrels and they are a little more bulky to carry, similar to the Stockade woodchuck.

N8Will
01-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Don't have a stockade yet I also just ordered mine last week, I do have a HS on a Remmy that is ok but I won't buy another, Not so much for the quality but more the price. I have B&C stock that are just as good with a better recoil pad for a $100 less. After talking to stockade Im sold on his stocks, and I like the option of the money saver where I can do a little of the work and save alot $.

piroguejoe
01-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I just purchased a used elk stalker in the classifieds and am very pleased with it. Solid stock in my opinion. I will buy another.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.744463,-92.533726

jpdown
01-20-2012, 01:57 AM
I have built the Savage in 260 you have described. The Stockade Hunter is a very good stock with excellent fitted recoil pad. Weight is 28 to 32 oz with blind magazine. With the Leupold VX-3 CDS scope, Burris bases, Signature Zee rings and #1 custom contour 22" barrel (32 to 38 oz) your scoped rifle is going to weigh right around 8 lbs. Add 9 oz if you go with a metal DBM configuration.

If you have not already purchased an action, I would take a serious look at the new Savage 11 LWH in 260 or 6.5x284. I have one in 260 that replaced the build above because I wanted a LW hunting and pack rifle. The Savage LWH was not available when I did the build above. I would have saved a lot time, money and aggrevation trying to build, or purchase (Remington Model 7's/poor accuracy) the perfect hunting rifle. It weights less than 7 lbs with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS scope. It handles great with excellent balance and compactness for manuvering in tight quarters such as stands and blinds. It shoots sub 1" groups with the 20" #1 contour barrel and handloads. I did not get any better accuracy with the 22" #1 contour custom made barrel used on the rifle above. And down range performance between a 22" and 20" barrel in 260 is not significantly different with the advent of premium powders and bullets. You can change out the plastic trigger guard with a metal one. I kept the plastic DBM magazine assembly for weight savings. It matches the metal finish so well it's hard to tell it's plastic. And the walnut stock is oil finished for easy repair if scratched during use. I bet someone will offer a composite aftermarket stock in the future. I put a LW varmint spring in the Accurtrigger and the pull weight is around 2.5 lbs for hunting. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Leon
01-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info guys. JP, I will definitely look into the LWH rifle. I am not sure it is what I am looking for at this time but it sounds like it is a promising platform that is definitely worth a look.