PDA

View Full Version : Help with odd brass gouging Savage 12 Benchrest

Pages : 1 [2]

Lung Buster
01-25-2012, 09:39 PM
What brand of dies are you using? Really need to use a go gauge.

82boy
01-25-2012, 10:05 PM
I got the gun back from the smith and he said he did polish out some parts in the action to minimize the gouging. My concern now is that now when closing the bolt there is resistance as if i am "jamming" a round. I pulled the firing pin and full length sized my brass and still feels like its jamming. Is it possible the head space is too tight and is very unsafe to fire it too see if it is a problem or is this one of those go fire and let the brass do what it needs to do.... would rather not go boom.
I also put scotch tape on the back of one and the bolt obviously wouldnt close, it just seems a bit too snug on full length sized brass.
Jesse

An ideal chamber is one where your fl sized brass will close with a light amount of resistance.

Ninedv
01-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Dies are redding. By light do you mean it should or shouldnt feel like you havent seated the bullets too long?
Jesse

82boy
01-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Bullet length has nothing to do with headspace, if the bullets fell like they are jambing then you need to back you seating die in and adjust for the Chamber length of the barrel.

When I say light with no bullet just a sized piece of brass the bolt should go closed and when you lower the handel you should just feel a light resistance, (Pefered mid starting mid way down as the bolt is closed.) compaired to closing the bolt with nothihning in the chamber. You may have to adjust your sizing die to achieve this.