PDA

View Full Version : Confused about which scope to buy.

xpdchief
01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Good evening, and thank you in advance to anyone who might be able to help me.

I've been lurking around for a week or so, gathering as much information as I could on a scope for my recently purchased Savage Model 10, FCP-K in .308.

I thought I had finally come up with a scope that both fit my budget, and my needs. I was looking at either the Millett TRS-1, or the Millett LRS-1. After narrowing down my choices I started to do more research on scopes in general. What I learned was that I may be buying more scope (size and magnification) than I need.

I will be using this rifle for non-competitive benchrest target shooting at distances up to 200 yards, with the possibility (in the distant future) of shooting up to 600 yards.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Brian

psharon97
01-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Vortex makes some pretty good scopes...http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-Rifle-Scopes-C1410.aspx

rusty815
01-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Take a look at the Falcon menace line of scopes, theyre FFP and are in youre price range

http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-4-14x44-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P47573.aspx

Deerhunter 28
01-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Nite force 1st choice
Signtron 2nd choice

tiny68
01-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Bench shooting only - I would take a close look at at a Weaver T24 or T36. Very reliable tracking. I have owned two T36s and have been pleased with both. You can spend as much or as little as you want on optics. One forum member won a regional NBRSA match with a TruGlo 36x ($80-90) if I remember right. I would strongly recommend a fixed power. You can get better optics for the money. I have a couple of SuperSnipers, both 16x, that I am pleased with. I have owned two other 10X SS, but chose to go with more magnification. The tracking and the Mil-Dot are the strong points on the SS.

Luck, Tim

xpdchief
01-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks to all of you who have replied.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices to a Weaver T-36 or a Sightron 36X. Just so I'm clear, my primary use is going to be 100 to 200 yard non-competitive benchrest target shooting. I'm told in the future my gun club MAY go out to 600 yards, so realistically I'm looking at 200 yards as the longest distance for quite some time.

Are these both good choices for that distance?, if not please elaborate.
Is one better than the other (I know this can be subjective)?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Brian

jhelmuth
01-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks to all of you who have replied.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices to a Weaver T-36 or a Sightron 36X. Just so I'm clear, my primary use is going to be 100 to 200 yard non-competitive benchrest target shooting. I'm told in the future my gun club MAY go out to 600 yards, so realistically I'm looking at 200 yards as the longest distance for quite some time.

Are these both good choices for that distance?, if not please elaborate.
Is one better than the other (I know this can be subjective)?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Brian

There is A LOT of variables in choosing a scope. Sounds like you are on the right track. For non-competitive benchrest, tracking will likely NOT be on the top of your critera list of must have. That opens up the choices a good bit so you can consider some of the lower cost alternatives (to the real big boy scopes). I like the fact that you are looking at higher power. Even at 200 yards, high power can be a real plus to hitting you POA. At 600+ yards, I feel it's critical and couldn't do with anything less than 25x. Of the two you mentioned, I'd probably go with the Sightron.

barrel-nut
01-20-2012, 11:29 AM
They're both good scopes. I have the Weaver 36x. Only problem with this much magnification in a fixed power scope is that mirage can become overwhelming in some situations. With a variable or a lower powered fixed its not as much of a problem.

I would look for a variable in the 20-24x maximum range, i.e. 6-24x or 4-20x. Or the 16x SS, or the Weaver 24x instead of the 36x.

Just my .02.

redbonesrock
01-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Since you are shooting only to 200 yds for the foreseeable future, I would stay with a lower power fixed scope right now. If the range does open up to 600 yds at some point in the future, you can always trade up to a higher power scope then. Right now 36x is overkill for 200 yds. I have a 4-12 variable on my 30.06 right now and can shoot 1 moa at 200 with it on the bench, but turn it down for hunting if necessary. If all you are doing is shooting targets, the fixed power is the better deal and you get more scope for your money. If this is a dual purpose gun, go with a variable so you can turn it down for hunting or up for targets, but expect to pay a lot more money to get a really accurate scope in a variable.

For strictly shooting from the bench, the 25x is probably what you want. Hope that helps.

lal357
01-21-2012, 09:53 AM
i have agrre with barrel nut go variable i just picked up a sightron 10-50x60 for a dedicated target gun and while a fixed power would be cheaper route there are days when the mirage will give you fits. its nice to be able to dail the mirage out(go lower if needed) as far as trading up yes you can do that but you'll probably do like i did and just put it on another gun since you wont get back what you paid for it. as far as brand everyone has a preference its would can afford dont skimp on glass it makes a difference.with that said look on this and other sites for some pre-loved scope you might luck out and get one that is better than what you could have if ya bought new also ask around for the best prices i found out i could have saved 200.00 on my last scope if i went to another online store.

jhelmuth
01-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Dialing out mirae won't necessarily make you a better shot. Reading mirage is a skill that target shooters learn. Technically, the mirage is still there - you just don't notice it as much.

However... I too am in argreement with you all on a variable vs fixed (but I'm not holding the purse strings and I think the OP has a handle on that).

barrel-nut
01-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Dialing out mirae won't necessarily make you a better shot. Reading mirage is a skill that target shooters learn. Technically, the mirage is still there - you just don't notice it as much.

However... I too am in argreement with you all on a variable vs fixed (but I'm not holding the purse strings and I think the OP has a handle on that).

Nobody said it would make you a better shot. And you're right, the mirage doesn't go away. But lowering the magnification will allow you to see the target again when the mirage really boils up, which happens a lot where I shoot.

There are some decent variables to be had in the price range of the Weaver and the Sightron. The Burris Fullfield 2 6.5-20 comes to mind. I like mine.

jhelmuth
01-24-2012, 10:23 PM
If it doesn't make you a better shot, then why even bother?

barrel-nut
01-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Nobody said it would make you a better shot. And you're right, the mirage doesn't go away. But lowering the magnification will allow you to see the target again when the mirage really boils up, which happens a lot where I shoot.

The scope doesn't make a rifle more accurate. Nor does it make you a more skilled shooter. It just helps you see your target and aim the rifle better. You can't hit what you can't see. A lower powered scope sometimes makes it easier to see thru the mirage.

jhelmuth
01-25-2012, 12:20 PM

The scope doesn't make a rifle more accurate. Nor does it make you a more skilled shooter. It just helps you see your target and aim the rifle better. You can't hit what you can't see. A lower powered scope sometimes makes it easier to see thru the mirage.

So I think we actually agree. I'm not saying (or implying) that a scope will improve or change your skill (and no one would say it makes the rifle more accurate). It does give you a better sight picture (better is subjective here). I'd argue that learning to read mirage is a worthy skill to posess if you are going to shoot long range competition. All the same, variale power scopes make more sense than fixed as power can be reduced in order to minimize the mirage if that is required (I alsways like more options). It's like arguing that higher power makes the target shake more.... True - but it gives you a better and more accurate sight picture (the shake is happening, you just can't see it so much).

barrel-nut
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I'd argue that learning to read mirage is a worthy skill to posess if you are going to shoot long range competition.
[/quote]

This is true and it applies also to point-blank BR (100-200yd) competition as well. But I don't think the OP intends to compete, based on what he said. Unless I'm reading him wrong, it sounds like he will be just shooting for fun, and to me, it's less frustrating (and therefore more fun) to see the target at 20x and not have to chase the dancing crosshairs like I often would at 36x. Maybe that makes me a "lazy" shooter, and you're right that my skills won't improve to that higher level until I learn to correct for the mirage, but I've only dabbled in competition, and I guess I find it more enjoyable at this stage for me to just dial down till its no longer noticeable and focus more on the fundamentals like trigger and breathing control. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that this is what the OP is wanting as well; hence my recommendation. But if he's after the absolute best possible accuracy, and has a lot of patience and/or experience, then by all means go for the 36x.

xpdchief
01-27-2012, 08:44 AM
barrel, you are absolutely correct, I'm looking to have fun and nothing more. Although I do hope to someday have fun at longer distances, for now (and the forseeable future) I will have to be content with 200 yards.

I want to thank everyone who has posted, you have provided me with great information.
Brian

xpdchief
01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Well I believe I have finally made up my mind. Thanks to all of the helpful responses to my question, I've decided to buy a Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24X42 (SIIB62442D).
I've looked around, and the best price I've found so far is from bearbasin.com, $599.99. There is also a $75.00 Sightron mail-in rebate.

Thanks again to all that have posted.
Brian

barrel-nut
01-29-2012, 03:09 AM
Good choice xpd. That should serve you well and make you happy. :):)

earl39
01-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Chief check out ammozone b4 you buy. They may have better price. 6x24 slll is only around $700 and big sky shows about $550 and down