PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Basix and stock inleting

Farhawk
01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm sure the info I need is on here somewhere but I seem to be search impaired.

I installed a Rifle Basix trigger in my 110. Installation to the action was simple and took only a few minutes. A nice upgrade.

Now the trouble. The bolt locks up when the stock bolts are tightened. I am having trouble figuring out where to remove material from the stock to fix this. I wrapped some tape around the action to raise it up a bit and that seems to fix the problem. I have done some dremel work with no results. I am guessing I'm missing something simple.

Advice would be appreciated

Grizzly2279
01-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I had the same problem but my action screws were too long!! Take the bolt out and then tighten the screws. You will be able to see if they are sticking up inside.

stangfish
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
The standard fix is to grind small incriments off of the end of the screw, deburr and test untill you can torque the screw with no bolt contact. I recently had to use a washer due to the style of bottom metal I am using and running out of threads when I shortened the screw.

GaCop
01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
If a portion of the trigger is binding on the stock, apply lipstick (or prussian blue if you want to spend the money at Brownell's) to the the bottom/lower sides of the trigger. Install the action in the stock and tighten the action screws. Remove the action and you can see where the trigger is making contact with the wood. Remove the offending wood with chisels.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
And if you plan to shorten the screws, run a nut on the screw "before" you cut or grind. That way, the nut will help straighten the threads as you remove it. Beats looking for thread files, new screws or taking the chance of damaging the action threads. ;) And shorten the screws just enough to where they come up flush on the inside of the action. You're looking for as much thread contact as you can get without sticking into the bolt body or head area. ;)

Farhawk
01-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the info!
Here's the story. I just bought this rifle at the local pawn shop cheap. it is a 25-06. It is my project gun for my first re-barrel. I am going to build up a 6.5x55. Anyway I did get a box of 25-06 ammo as part of the deal so off to the range. I ran 10 shells through it and the group size was a ridiculous 5.5 to 6 inch group. Oh well, I'm thinking there was a reason I got it cheap and a reason why it got to the pawn shop.

The whole problem with the bolt turned out to be that the from receiver screw was too long causing the bolt to lock up when tightened. I was unaware that could cause the problem I was having. (Thanks again Guys) So that was the reason I found it loose on first dis-assembly. I didn't want to shorten the bolt so I decided to knock out the stock plastic for-end bushing/spacer/washer and dropped in a metal washer as a spacer. This made the bushing stick out past the edge of the for-arm about the thickness of the washer so I then sanded the plastic piece down to get it back to the right length. This worked perfect and was simple to do. Just make sure that you sand the outside of the bushing and not the inside.

Torqued the stock on and went to the range. The group size shrunk to 2.5 inches. It really didn't like the front receiver screw being loose.

ellobo
01-19-2012, 07:39 PM
What range did you shoot those groups? 2.5 at 600 yards would be fantastic but not at 100 yards. When you install your Swede and it shoots 2.5 at 100 yds I would say you have some work to do. like bedding, checking for the barrel not free floated, etc.
Good luck. That 6.5 is a great old cartridge.

El Lobo

Farhawk
01-20-2012, 08:32 PM
What range did you shoot those groups? 2.5 at 600 yards would be fantastic but not at 100 yards. When you install your Swede and it shoots 2.5 at 100 yds I would say you have some work to do. like bedding, checking for the barrel not free floated, etc.
Good luck. That 6.5 is a great old cartridge.

El Lobo

Group shot at 100 yards. Not really acceptable but at least better than it was. Bedding is definitely part of the plan.

GaCop
01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Definitely needs bedding and as stated, insure the barrel is floated. What reloading dies are you using? You may also have some issues with bullet and/or neck runout.

Farhawk
01-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I have the Forster Precision Bushing Bump Neck Sizer Die and the Forster Case Trimmer and Outside Neck Turner.

I installed the new barrel this weekend. I also fitted the barrel to the stock and installed the pillars. I plan to do the rest of the bedding tomorrow. I started a thread on the project.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,47670.0.html