PDA

View Full Version : 6 X 47 LAPUA PRE-FIT WHICH ONE?

tdnichols
11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
LOOKING TO B=PURCHASE PREFIT 6X47L FOR SAVAGE SA...WHICH ONE?

groupshooter22
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I just got my Brux 6BR from SSS last week. Broke it in last weekend and started working up loads today. Cleans easier than my Shilen in .223 or my Benchmark in 6BR. So far today it shot a 5 shot group that is .245 ctc with 108 bergers and 30g of Varget. I think this one will do. I would call SSS or Sinman and have one of them do you up a Brux.

82boy
11-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I have been very impressed with my Shilen ratchet twist barrel that SSS chambered in 6x47L, I will say I have been impressed with three other barrels SSS chambered on local rifles in 6x47L on is a Krieger, the other is a Douglass, and the third is a Brux. I can say that all four shoot equally well. I would go with a 1 in 8 twist on whatever I got.

I saw that someone had some chambered pre fits in 6x47 Lapua discounted out, but the problem was they was all 1 in 10 twist. IMO that is about a worthless as a screen door on a submarine.

Carvera
11-24-2009, 12:09 AM
I saw that someone had some chambered pre fits in 6x47 Lapua discounted out, but the problem was they was all 1 in 10 twist. IMO that is about a worthless as a screen door on a submarine.

Would you please explain why the 1 in 10" twist is a problem?

From what I've read, there are MANY people that use that twist on the 6X47 Lapua.

Is it because the fad is for EVERYTHING to have a fast twist to lob the heaviest, most expensive bullets at 1000 yards plus?

pa hog
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
I did a 500.00+ Broughton 6br barrel in a 10" twist and loved it, to each there own, But I'll never own another 8"twist 6mm seems like them long skinny 105-108"s like to throw fliers alot. I like the 6mm in a 1-9"/10" to shoot 90gr Bergers or 95gr Bib's the 95grVLD's are a good bullet to, but thats just my 2cents. I'd look into a Brux...

82boy
11-24-2009, 01:19 AM

Would you please explain why the 1 in 10" twist is a problem?
From what I've read, there are MANY people that use that twist on the 6X47 Lapua.
Is it because the fad is for EVERYTHING to have a fast twist to lob the heaviest, most expensive bullets at 1000 yards plus?

Well lets first look at published 6x47L load data, the very small tiny amount of it out there is all geared toward 107 & 108 loads. Besides 6mmbr's article I do not think that anyone else has load data for lighter bullets.

Second lets look at the cartridge for what it is, it is basically a lengthened 6br. The cartridge was designed to fill a void. The 6 Br being a great cartridge, has a problem with shooting the heavy 107 area bullets, it is able to do it, but you have to ring the guts out of it, so people looked for other ways to improve on the cartridge. This led to the development of dasher, the BRX, the br/dr, the brrs, and the 6xc. So the 6.5x47L was introduced, and people started necking it down. The cartridge has a thicker web to support higher pressure, and a bigger case capacity, the cartridge was designed to shoot heavy 107 area bullets. Now why would you take a cartridge that is designed to push a 107 area projectile fixing a problem, and handicap it to shoot lighter bullets, which the 6br is better equipped to do? It is an efficient cartridge.

Now lets say you are shooting 90 to 95gr bullets out of your 10 twist 6x47 L, from my experience the 95 gr bullets are the same price and many times more expensive than the 107's. Price a box of Sierra 95gr Matchkings and a box of 107 match kings. Or now you can shoot the 108 BIB bullets, (If the barrel likes them) at more cost that the 107 and 108 bullets. (Don't get me wrong these bullets really shoot, but I have never had a problem with them in the faster twist.) The 95 gr bullets shoot great out of a 8 twist barrel, so where is the advantage to having a 10 twist barrel?

I don't follow fads, and I feel that a cartridge should be matched with the bullet the cartridge was designed around. I love the 6PPC it is one of my favorite cartridges, but I would never chamber one in a faster twist than 1 in 13, because the cartridge is not designed to shoot heavier bullets. If I was shooting 70-90 gr bullets I would pick a 6br, and if I wanted to shoot 107 area bullets I would pick a 6x47L. I would not pick a 6br to shoot 62-68 gr bullets, because I fell that the 6PPC does it a heck of a lot better. Using this same thought, this is why I say why use a 6x47L to shoot 70-90 gr bullets.

My question then is what advantage is there to having a 10 twist barrel in 6x47L?

pa hog
11-24-2009, 01:35 AM
tdnichols here's a good read:
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek093.html

TOO Builder
11-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Interesting read, good to here the variety of opinions. I shoot an 8 twist 6x47L and it does wonderful with the 105 VLD's at 3050 fps. I have tried both the 95gr VLD's and 80gr FB Bergers and they were under 1" moa but nothing like the 105's shoot. I had been thinking about getting even a 12 twist to try for the lighter bullets. I have read of others using a 12 twist with good accuracy and velocity and thought it would be good to swap barrels for when I go to the dog towns. I was mainly thinking this route since I have a range of calibers to take with but this being my only 6mm I then wouldn't have to invest in a completely different set of dies, brass, etc.

It maybe wouldn't achieve the level of accuracy that I see with the 105's but wouldn't it still give very good accuracy in a 12 twist with the less than 80 gr. bullets?? I passed on the 10 twists McGowen had at a very good price thinking I should get a 12 instead ???. TB