PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 factory barrel rebarrel to...

Nandy
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
What are my options or is it even worth it? This is the factory barrel that came with the rifle originally. I was replaced by an A&B barrel also in 06. The A&B barrel shoots under .6" but the factory barrel will not shoot better than 1.5 inches which was fine for hunting back in the time. I think they barrel could have shot better with reloads. I also was very green and used to clean it from the muzzle and I had a smith tell me the crown was messed up...

Cycler
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Is it worth it? It depends on what you hope to accomplish by the change. The alternatives are nearly endless but 30-06 is about as versatile as they come so do you have a specialized use in mind?

Nandy
01-13-2012, 09:20 PM
What I want to accomplish? another caliber to shoot, preferably a hunting caliber. What I was looking for is a list of calibers this barrel can be turn into. I already have a 30-06 barrel, have no use for this barrel.

fullersson
01-13-2012, 09:34 PM
A 30-06 is a long action with a standard bolt face. It can be turned into anything using a .473 bolt face. Even though this is a long action you can chamber it to run a short action cartridge. Some examples (just off the top of my head) are: 30-06, 270, 6.5-284, 6-284, 284, 6x47, 6.5X47, 308, 243, 260, 6br (single shot). These are just a few. Brian Brown.

darkker
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Fuller & Cycler are right on.
If it is the same length class, or shorter. You can rebarrel to that cartridge. As to Cybers question about your question... Is it worth it?? What he was asking, is what do you consider "worth it" to be? Can you buy a barrel, and if need be the bolthead; cheaper than a new gun? Yes it is worth it. If you messed-up your crown, but the barrel is fine, just re-crown it. Cost you about $45.
Just about any larger barrel maker stocks the Savage threads, for replacement barrels.

Nandy
01-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Step 1 to know :if it is worth it" is to know what calibers this barrel can be turned into, then if there is a caliber I like I can check how much is the job and then weight if it is worth it. When it is all said an done I want the crown redone. This might as well run the same as a new barrel or to close so I might then go for the new barrel. I just dont have enough info yet.
Now, can someone explain to me how can you turn an 06 barrel into a 270? Aint a 270 .277" diameter while the 06 is .308"? Do they use a insert or they hammer it in?

Blue Avenger
01-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Now, can someone explain to me how can you turn an 06 barrel into a 270? Aint a 270 .277" diameter while the 06 is .308"? Do they use a insert or they hammer it in?
NO, They change the barrel!

Nandy
01-13-2012, 11:06 PM
I did not explain myself right and this might be what is causing the misunderstanding here... I am not talking about changing the barrel in my 110 long action, I am talking about getting the factory 30-06 sporter barrel and button rifled, cut-riffled or forged hammered to a different caliber. Sorry for the confusion. I got my terminology wrong...

fullersson
01-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Sorry for adding to the confusion. I misunderstood the question. If you are talking about your factory barrel it probably can't be redone because of the taper. Brian Brown.

handirifle
01-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Here's a bit more info for ya, since you clarified your question. In MY opinion, even if you could change it to another caliber, it's not worth it. Here's why.

If you rechambered the barrel for say, a 300 WM, the bore is the same but the new cartridge would require the chamber to be reamed to fit. Cost would be $200+. You would still have, in your words, your 1.5" barrel, or better if using the A&B.

The cost of a new, high quality barrel in most any caliber, is about $250 and up. You can add in the one-time cost of tooling, and swap the barrels out yourself to what ever caliber your mood desires. For example, I have an old long action Savage that also started life as an '06 but now lives on as a 338 Win Mag. You can make that rifle into almost anything Savage chambers, and a lot that they do not.

If you want a new caliber, rebarrel.

GaCop
01-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Here's a bit more info for ya, since you clarified your question. In MY opinion, even if you could change it to another caliber, it's not worth it. Here's why.

If you rechambered the barrel for say, a 300 WM, the bore is the same but the new cartridge would require the chamber to be reamed to fit. Cost would be $200+. You would still have, in your words, your 1.5" barrel, or better if using the A&B.

The cost of a new, high quality barrel in most any caliber, is about $250 and up. You can add in the one-time cost of tooling, and swap the barrels out yourself to what ever caliber your mood desires. For example, I have an old long action Savage that also started life as an '06 but now lives on as a 338 Win Mag. You can make that rifle into almost anything Savage chambers, and a lot that they do not.

If you want a new caliber, rebarrel.

That pretty much sums it up. With the messed up crown and rifling, use the old barrel for a tomato stake.

Slenk
01-14-2012, 10:11 AM
You can have it rebored to a 338-06 or a 35 Whelen depending on barrel conture.

thirty06
01-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Just recrown it yourself. Lots of different ways to do it. Brass screw and valve grinding compound, chamfering tool, Google it.
What have you got to lose, if you screw it up you still have a tomato stake. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

stangfish
01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
I would buy the barrel for $20 shipped. I need it to build a a accurizing fixture.

Cycler
01-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I did not explain myself right and this might be what is causing the misunderstanding here... I am not talking about changing the barrel in my 110 long action, I am talking about getting the factory 30-06 sporter barrel and button rifled, cut-riffled or forged hammered to a different caliber. Sorry for the confusion. I got my terminology wrong...

None of what you propose is economically sound. Having an existing barrel rebored and rerifled to a larger caliber or bored and sleeved to a smaller one would be vastly more expensive then just fitting a high quality new barrel in the different caliber of your choice.

sgt5res
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
A 30-06 is a long action with a standard bolt face. It can be turned into anything using a .473 bolt face. Even though this is a long action you can chamber it to run a short action cartridge. Some examples (just off the top of my head) are: 30-06, 270, 6.5-284, 6-284, 284, 6x47, 6.5X47, 308, 243, 260, 6br (single shot). These are just a few. Brian Brown.

would changing from a long action to a short action cause any issues with the feeding? i've actually been contemplating buying a project rifle and eventually turning it into something in the 6.5 range... probably the 6.5 creedmoor.

GaCop
01-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Going short action would limit how far out you could seat bullets and still fit in the mag box.