PDA

View Full Version : difference between the two mag feed system?

mtnsmith
11-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Not knowing Savage rifles and just starting to learn, what is the difference between the two cartridge feeds? You know the magazine feed system..Thanks..

mtnsmith

82boy
11-22-2009, 01:08 PM
The Staggered feed has a mag box mounted to the action, and has a follower that fits up through the bottom, and is held in place by the stock

The Centerfeed magazine has a magazine box that is attached to the stock. This magazine design change was to fix reported problems with feed issues with the older staggered feed system. It has a different bolt spacing on the action.

lsittingbull
11-24-2009, 03:34 AM
can a staggered feed stock be replaced with the centerfeed stock.

hitman49
11-24-2009, 11:14 AM
can a staggered feed stock be replaced with the centerfeed stock.

No the bolt spacing is different with the 2 actions.

Uncle Jack
11-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Having used Savage rifles for many year, I have never encountered any feed problems. What issues were addressed by this change?

82boy
11-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I am like you I cant say I have ever had a problem with he old stagged feed magazine. But I have read tales from other people that stated they had problems with the feed, and considered it unreliable. The when the center feed magazine came out it seamed like everyone was crying because the magazine is hard to load. I guess it is a catch 22.

Smokepole
11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I haven't had any feeding issues w the staggerfeed either, and the centerfeed is a pain to load. I guess there's a couple advantages to the end user though. The mag lips don't contact the bolt as much, so it's smoother cycling and the mag cutout in the bottom of the action is smaller. I guess one could argue that adds some minuscule level of stiffness or strength to the action body.

Forester
11-25-2009, 09:05 AM
My experience has been that the staggered feed sometimes has problems with sharp shoulder angles like so man of the newer and AI rounds do. The Centerfeed seems to solve this, or at least it has for me.