PDA

View Full Version : Okay, okay...the "pup" is stumped...need some input...

dcompton
01-12-2012, 04:24 PM
As some of you might know, over the past year I have been piecing together my .338 build. I was getting fairly close to completion and hit a snag as some of you (geargrinder) ;) predicted I would. My desire was to mag feed this monster, and so I purchased the AccurateMag 3.850 bottom metal set-up. I milled the factory box mag tab off, and also milled the rear of the receiver bottom to be flush with the bolt face when it is against the bolt stop. Here's my conundrum. I still only have about 3.700 (or a hair less) as an opening. When the bottom metal is mounted, the front lines up great, but the back of the opening still has a good .250 - .375 of receiver in the way. Here's my thought, so please correct me before I do something dumb.

- The front end looks good, so i don't want to fiddle any with the bolt abutment area up there by removing material from the front. I was thinking of milling the rear opening on the receiver to match the opening on the bottom metal and thus match the magazine. Then, modify the bolt stop so that the bolt has more travel to the rear and can clear the magazine and longer round. My thought is all the battery lockup is happening up front and I "should" be able to remove that material at the back bottom and be alright.

So, what's wrong with my plan, OR am I thinking correctly? This is it gang...the last hurdle (hopefully) before this thing breathes.
Thanks an indescribable amount for everyone's input and guidance on this journey.

DC

r29l20
01-12-2012, 06:00 PM
It sounds good to me, but what do I know ???. You should PM sharpshooter, he would know for sure.

sharpshooter
01-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Yes, the area to remove will be at the rear. Do not cut or trim anything from the bolt stop,as it is also the sear. To gain more bolt travel, trim some from the right side of the front bolt baffle.

dcompton
01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Hey thanks for the quick replies! Sharpshooter, I was wondering about that bolt stop. So remove the lower. rear material and then modify the baffle to give me the travel I need. Sounds like a plan. Now, my favorite game, "Back to the shop". I'll try to post some pictures after I get her milled. Thanks everyone!

DC