PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizing question

handirifle
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Being new to the belted cases, 338 Wm, and having just read quite a bit about the drawbacks of belted rounds, ie. the cases stretching just forward of the belt, I want to make my brass last as long as possible. I am not new to reloading, however.

The best way, so I've read, is to neck size the brass so it headspaces off the shoulder instead of the belt. First off, I want to make sure most here are in agreement with the above statement. If not, please chime in on it. What are the drawbacks to neck sizing?

Having full length resized all my brass in the past, I want to know the best way to go about this. Will the FL dies work? I'd rather not buy more dies if I do not have to, being on a tight budget. and all.

Do you set the shoulder back at least some? That would seem prudent to insure ease of chambering. If so, how much.

Thanks in advance.

Aircraftmech76
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
You could just back your die off a bit to achieve partial-length sizing. I use this, from Hornady, to measure my fired and sized brass to ensure I'm not overworking anything:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Headspace-Kit-With-Body-1-Each/

Works slick!

Kevin

barrel-nut
01-11-2012, 05:39 PM
RCBS Precision Mic will tell you exactly how much you're setting the shoulder back. Continue using your F/L dies, just as aircraftmech stated, but back them off and let the case headspace off the shoulder, like any other non-belted round. After the initial firing, the belt should become merely cosmetic. It is only if you continue pushing the shoulder back .010-.015 each time, that the stretching ahead of the belt can become a problem. I've never had any separate there, but I don't allow it to stretch again after the initial firing.

Slowpoke Slim
01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I always FL size my big game hunting rifle brass, whether it's belted mag or not. I have had 3 belted magnums, now I'm down to 2. To me this is much ado about nothing. A chance for gunwriters to kill a bunch of trees and churn out articles for magazines.

Other than sighting in checks and initial load development, how much do you ACTUALLY shoot your big game rifle? I have had multiple reloads, like 5 or 6 on my belted magnum brass. That's YEARS worth of hunting, I don't care who you are!

I FL size my brass to make it chamber easily and the bolt throw faster-easier. My load development is done with FL brass too.

I've never had a problem with belted magnum brass separating, headspace or chambering issues. This is a non-event.

Now my long range, match or prairie dog ammo is a different story, and it's loaded for a different purpose. But big game ammo, no absolutely not. FL size it and be done with it.

Blue Avenger
01-11-2012, 11:33 PM
I just partial size mine. really don't shoot it enough to worry about case separation.

handirifle
01-12-2012, 01:57 AM
I always FL size my big game hunting rifle brass, whether it's belted mag or not. I have had 3 belted magnums, now I'm down to 2. To me this is much ado about nothing. A chance for gunwriters to kill a bunch of trees and churn out articles for magazines.

Other than sighting in checks and initial load development, how much do you ACTUALLY shoot your big game rifle? I have had multiple reloads, like 5 or 6 on my belted magnum brass. That's YEARS worth of hunting, I don't care who you are!

I FL size my brass to make it chamber easily and the bolt throw faster-easier. My load development is done with FL brass too.

I've never had a problem with belted magnum brass separating, headspace or chambering issues. This is a non-event.

Now my long range, match or prairie dog ammo is a different story, and it's loaded for a different purpose. But big game ammo, no absolutely not. FL size it and be done with it.

OK, chambering issues were a big concern of mine. I realize it might be moot as long as the ammo is only used in my rifle, and very doubtful I would ever need to loan ammo to someone, especially in 338Wm, but I would not be happy having even the slightest chambering problems, if it were for a follow up shot on any game animal.

If you, and others, are getting 5-6 reloads with no problems, I doubt I ever would. This IS a hunting rifle, and once a suitable load is worked up, it too, will only be checked for sighting in, and hunting. I think I will stick with the FL. Thanks for the feedback both ways.