PDA

View Full Version : Prefit Barrel on a Competitive Target Rifle?

300magman
01-11-2012, 01:02 AM
I am wondering if a prefit barrel could be competitive with the best custom chambered & installed barrels out there, or if the prefits are generally very good, but not quite on the same level as a professionally installed barrel.

The reason for my question is that I do not have the budget at this point in my life for a professionally built, dedicated target rifle; but now that some friends and I are looking into assembling a couple of hunting/recreational target rifles, I thought I would see how far a Savage can be taken on a budget and perhaps build a dedicated target rifle afterall.

I see a lot of great looking reviews on several of the prefit barrel makers, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options when it comes to how the chambers are cut (which is something that seems to be an advantage on the professionally built rifles...a.k.a. the rifles I can't afford)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone offers semi-custom prefits with options as to neck diamension and throating length, but still at a price that is somewhat more affordable than a full on custom fitted barrel. . . . or would I basically have to pay to have a custom remear or remears built to achieve this kind of customization. (I'm sure this question reveals exactly how ignorant I am, but I am still reading and researching exactly how these things are done, so please excuse my lack of knowledge for the moment...I am endeavouring to learn)

blom
01-11-2012, 07:29 AM
I've had Shilen do 4 for me, they have different reamers for neck diameter and I send a couple of dummy rounds set the way I want them for seating length (AOL). Not all reamers are available in different neck diameter but quite a few in the more popular chambering.

BoilerUP
01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Criterion prefits seem to be doing pretty well in competitions...

82boy
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I am wondering if a prefit barrel could be competitive with the best custom chambered & installed barrels out there, or if the prefits are generally very good, but not quite on the same level as a professionally installed barrel.

Yes,
Need more proof.
Two 5 shot 100 yard groups shot from a pref-fit CBI 6mm BR barrel with a 1 in 8 twist shooting 107 gr SMK VLD bullets. (This barrel was still in break in with these shots at under 100 rounds.)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/30Brtest1001.jpg
Still not convenced.
How about a 600 yard group shoot at the 2010 IBS nationals that won 1 st place in score (1 target match, not over all, but the gun is still just as competitive.) betting out the 2nd place tie by .016 of an inch, betting out sea of 74 shooters, (Most with high dollar custom actions.) with some of the top names in the sport. This is a Shilen Rachet barrel. Groups size was 2.728.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/IMG_0455.jpg

This is very similar to a question you asked back in January of 2010.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,29426.0.html

82boy
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
To answer your second question.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone offers semi-custom prefits with options as to neck diamension and throating length, but still at a price that is somewhat more affordable than a full on custom fitted barrel. . . . or would I basically have to pay to have a custom remear or remears built to achieve this kind of customization. (I'm sure this question reveals exactly how ignorant I am, but I am still reading and researching exactly how these things are done, so please excuse my lack of knowledge for the moment...I am endeavouring to learn)

SSS can do what ever you could possibly want.
Shilen has a long list of options, it would be hard to believe that they dont cover what you are looking for.
http://www.shilen.com/chambers.html
Other barrel sellers can also order or rent reamers, and again it would be hard not to get whaat your looking for.

psharon97
01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
+1 for SSS. There work is top notch.

Terry Balding
01-11-2012, 07:17 PM
82Boy

What were your 4 target results at the IBS Nationals?

82boy
01-11-2012, 11:58 PM
82Boy
What were your 4 target results at the IBS Nationals?

At the nationals they dont shoot a 4 target agg, but a 8 target agg. In light gun I DQed on the 8th and final match. (Along with almost everyone in the relay I was on If I remember right it was 10 people.) The wind switched and realy picked up, right after the sighter period. Looking at the list it looks like you DQed at the same time.

lal357
01-14-2012, 05:15 PM
hey 82boy i have been thinking about biulding another target rifle and have been kicking anound a 6br in either CBI or Shilen whixh do you think is the better barrel i have a shilen 308 right now and it is a great shooter been getting ready for our clubs f class to start up this year and it shoots 194-200 every time with a mr-63 target at 300 yds. also did you have to have the throat bored out any or is that how you got it from jim (he's the one i'm gonna get mine from)?.

82boy
01-14-2012, 11:59 PM
hey 82boy i have been thinking about biulding another target rifle and have been kicking anound a 6br in either CBI or Shilen whixh do you think is the better
I honestly can not say one is better than the other, I would say they are about equal. I keep records on both barrels are they are both are averaging 3-4 inch groups at 600 yards. Both have shot groups in the low 2.'s and both have shot groups in the 6+ range. The CBI barrel was set up ready to go, and it does well with 107 SMK's.

lal357
01-15-2012, 08:21 AM
thanks for your input never shot a cbi before no didnt have any personal expereince with one but heard good things about them

ttfreestyle
01-16-2012, 07:17 PM
The Criterions we are using are all holding consistant half moa out to 600. My daughter has done extremely well with her 6br Criterion with one clean 450-22x of 450 in a mid range match and has won a few more matches in the F open class. I am extremely pleased with all 5 Criterions we have. Just our experience.