PDA

View Full Version : 6 BR Newbie Case Question

jerryrva
11-21-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a Savage 6 BR LRVP and confused over Norma and Lapu Brass. From what I read they are a bit differently sized. Also what size will be the various 6 BR dies be sizing the reloads? I'm mainly interested in target shooting with it so I want to get it reloaded the best I can without going the full and expensive benchrest accuracy route. What are you guys using for brass and dies?

groupshooter22
11-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Brass - Lapua, none better. For dies I use the Redding type s bushing fl die. Tried the forster fl and either the die was not finished correctly or they are just not polished left grooves in my brass. Also used the Forster bushing bump die with a body die but with the bushing bump die the case is not supported at the body shoulder junction and the brass had a chance to bulge right at the junction as evidened by a shiney ring around the brass. I use a Wilson ss mic seater but a Redding comp or Forster ultra would do just as well or so I have read lately. With my type s I am getting less than .001 tir.

Dirk
11-21-2009, 11:25 PM
You are confusing yourself. The official caliber is 6mm BR Norma. Both Norma and Lapua make brass for it and they are both the same. Lapua brass is cheaper to buy. Both are high quality brass. There is another caliber called
6mm BR Remington. Today it is really the same as the Norma version. As far as reloading dies are concerned, much depends on the chamber. If it is a "no turn" neck, then a normal neck/full length resizing die will suffice. Personally I use Redding bushing dies and size the neck only with a .268" bushing. Every fourth or fifth reload, I use a body die to bump the shoulder back and resize the body. The good thing about a body sizing die is you can resize the body of a loaded round if it is a tight fit in the chamber. HTH.

fatdaddy
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey Jerry,
I would recommend redding FL dies, and lapua brass. I use both and Im very satisfied. My wife and I both shoot 6mm BR norma. I reload for both. Neither rifle has ever shot a factory round. Larry D Scott was selling lapua brass for 70.00 delivered, cheapest I have found. Bill