PDA

View Full Version : Getting a model 10 HS Precision .308

Pages : [1] 2

sheikss
01-07-2012, 09:46 PM
So I am going to man up and get the HS Precision .308. Going to pay for it monday and should have it by the end of the week. Thinking about sending it off and getting the action true'd and time'd. More that likely I will use Fred at SSS. I was wondering if you guys have any other recommendations for work. Just wanting a nasty little hole puncher that will rain terror on the occassional varmit.

psharon97
01-08-2012, 03:09 AM
I've never been a fan of the accutrigger. I would have Fred install a SSS competition trigger.

GaCop
01-08-2012, 05:52 AM
I'd shoot it first just to get baseline accuracy, then send it off. You'll have something to compare the accuracy work to. Being a Savage, it may surprise you right out of the box and not need additional work.

abrasivereshaping
01-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I bought one for Christmas topped it off with an EGW 20MOA base, Leupold Rings and a Sightron SIII 8 x 32 x 56 LRMOA. I'm newb and this my first .308 rifle. After getting it on paper, I moved out to 100 yards. I made consistent 4 shot(MAG SHOULD HAVE BEEN A MIN OF 5 ROUNDS) groups that were all quarter to dime size groups. I used Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. I think I will lighten up the trigger a tad to see what happens. Needless to say I am very very happy with my setup. I can't say enough also about how crystal clear the Sightron scope is, well worth the money and now I want one for my other toys. I say go shoot the heck out of it to become familar with it. I'm going to start reloading and see how far I can take a stock gun.

243LPR
01-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Which model is this? I don't see it on Savages' site.

higgite
01-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Look for 10/110 FCP HS Precision under the "Law Enforcement Series". I ordered one in .308 today. ;D

maddogg316
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
well if your looking to have fred true and time that rifle or any other work for that matter i hope your prepared to wait for a rifle for about 8 months!
I had similar work done and it took from january to october to get my parts and even then they screwed up my order and forgot to send me my whole order!
he did good work but his customer service is lacking especially after i was originally told that the work would only take 6 weeks and it ended up being 9 MONTHS!!!!!!

Id try stockade!
Ken does the same work and has way faster turnaround times iv heard!

sheikss
01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I got an email from Fred saying he was taking orders at the end of the month for Feb. Did he tell you something similiar?

maddogg316
01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Well i bought a brand new dual port action from him and had him true and time it before he sent it to me!
he said it would take 6 weeks and i had it in 9 months
every time i called it was always a new excuse!
i got pretty frustrated!
plus they never answer there phone

SYBO
01-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Well owning tat very same rifle, I would suggest adjusting the trigger to the lightest you feel comfortable with and just shoot it for a while. I'm leaving mine just how it is and it will literally stack-em at 100 if I do my job with reloads. Spend the extra dough on ammo ;)

buoux308
01-12-2012, 06:27 PM
I just bought the very same model for my first bolt action rifle and I'm very happy with it. Good Luck!

snowpro440
01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I have one of those 10 fp with the hs precision stock , Right out of the box ACCURACY , Got a weaver 6x20x50 an a 20MOA rail on it. Did the break-in then dialed it for 200 yards and she put 10 shots in an inch . I am really happy with it , Thing that gets me is , I tried four other loads that I had for hunting with another 308 and it shot real good with those too. You should shoot it first then get a rifle basics trigger and see what it does. Let us know how it shoots.

sheikss
01-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Well the place I went to get the rifle is saying they can't find any through their dealers. I am thinking about seeing if they can find a precision carbine in .308 and putting me a hs precision stock on it.

abrasivereshaping
01-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Maybe this route for you, atleast you could go out and start shooting asap and get some seat time.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=269468899

sheikss
02-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Picked the rifle up today. Only complaint if I had to find one would be the bolt feels gritty when you slide it. The trigger out of the box is amazing, zero creep. I have two other newer accu-triggers and this is by far the best one. Going to go with a sightron scope just need to figure out what mounts to get and where. I will probably due a bolt knob and the bigger mag too. Any suggestions for mounts and to cure the grittyness would be apperciated.

Stockrex
02-08-2012, 07:46 PM
is it touching the safety

barrel-nut
02-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Mounts: EGR 20 MOA Picatinny rail, Burris Extreme tactical rings (low)

Bolt roughness: shoot the hell out of it. It will get smoother, and/or you will not notice it as much once you get used to it. Or you will be so happy with the rifle overall that it will no longer be an issue. :)

sheikss
02-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Na, its not touching the safety. I think the finish on it might have made it into the action. I am pretty sure that shooting it or cycling the bolt for awhile would cure it.

goofy063
02-09-2012, 12:27 AM
I to just picked up my 10fcp tonight and my bolt also feels like it has grit in it i think its the parkerizing if you put a little(lite) side pressure on the bolt (left&right) work it in and out a few times and it will smooth up i think some lapping paste or a polishing stone would do wonders

sheikss
02-09-2012, 01:02 AM
Do I need a 20 moa to shoot to say 500 max? I was going to go with a 50 mm obj.