PDA

View Full Version : piano wire question

titsmcgee
01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I recently purchased my second stevens 200. After reading all the writeups on this forum I decided to lighten up the trigger. Using a digital fish scale to weigh my bottle of water i hung from the trigger i checked 5.4 lbs on the unmodded factory setting. I backed the tension screw a few turns till i was uncomfortable going any further. Slammed the butt a few times to verify it was safe. That resulted in 3.2 lbs. A week later i picked up some 0.043 piano wire and replaced the factory wire. The wierd part is I left the screw where i had previously set it and checked only to find a 4 lb pull. I realize the factory trigger isnt adjustable much lower than 3 lbs. But i was hoping with the lighter wire i could get a few less ounces pull with the screw set tighter. But with the 0.043 i cant back it out enough to get back where i was with the factory wire. Any ideas why?

handirifle
01-07-2012, 12:39 AM
The only thing that comes to mind is that even though the newer wire is thinner, according to you (I honestly don't know) but the factory wire, must, in fact, be weaker, though larger. The type of steel, the temper, lots of things determine the amount of tension a spring exerts.

LHitchcox
01-07-2012, 10:30 AM
That is strange. All the triggers I have done have dropped in pull weight when using the thinner spring. BTW, I have used the music wire a lot, but when my buddies found out I had the wire they came begging and it got used up. Now I get a cheap buzz bait ($1.00) at WalMart or get pre-made wires from a bait shot and cut the wire into two trigger springs. Works fine.

stangfish
01-07-2012, 01:45 PM
This probably goes without saying but with so many new novice "gunsmiths" reading this forum I feel compelled to note this one thing: When backing your spring tension screw out it is important to observe the location of the seer surfaces when closing the bolt handle. It is critical that the spring retain enough force that it allows for full engagement between the seer and the trigger when the bolt closes. Having an adjustable trigger can accomplish less creep. Leave the rest for a qualified gunsmith or a experienced shooter that excersizes extreme caution while handleing a loaded gun.

Regards
Fish

Additional comment:
I will also add that I have acheived more success by improving the mating surface finish than by lowering the sear springs "preload".

r29l20
01-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Yup it's called preload, and yes it is VERY important.

1Shot
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
...I use .038 wire myself...

titsmcgee
01-07-2012, 05:26 PM
As far as extreme caution with a loaded gun, i've got that covered. I personally leave the bolt open on my guns when they are out but not shouldered. Except when hunting, and I do not intend to hunt with this gun. I think i have decided to put the factory wire back in for now and just save up for a better aftermarket trigger. The plan was to buy a different trigger eventually anyway. I was just hoping to make the factory one alittle better till then. I was amazed at how hard the music wire was to find. Went to 2 music stores, lowes, home depot, and true value with no luck. Finally ordered a 1/4 lb through mcmaster-carr.

Bad Water Bill
01-07-2012, 05:48 PM
for other sources try hobby shops or from time to time try

http://www.sciplus.com/

I have found a TON of stuff I really don't need there. :) They are good folks.

r29l20
01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Return springs, at auto stores.

michael word
01-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I have had the best luck finding music wire at model railroad shops.

stangfish
01-07-2012, 10:18 PM
ebay. 10ft <$7.00 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piano-Music-Wire-Replacement-broken-strings-/110421530557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b5a2d7bd

Cut it in 6" pieces and sell them for 1.00 each shipped via US mail. that should cover shipping and material so everyone is happy. I f I could find the remaining five feet I have I would give it to you due to the fact that I will probably never use anything other than the factory spring.
I will look for it and post if find it

titsmcgee
01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
mcmaster-carr was less than $4 for the 1/4 lb roll

stangfish
01-08-2012, 01:44 AM
mcmaster-carr was less than $4 for the 1/4 lb roll

Was it this....
Spring-Back Type 304 Stainless Steel—Matte Finish
On this page?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-wire/=fpm2oy

Looks Like the right stuff for a good price if that is what you got. However he tube of 1ft lengths would be easier to work

titsmcgee
01-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Close. I didnt opt for the stainless. I picked up the 1065 carbon steel spring-back wire.

ellobo
01-09-2012, 03:07 AM
1065 is a good medium carbon steel properly heat treated and tempered should be a very good wire. It will rust so give it a light wiping of oil.

El Lobo

stangfish
01-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Your right ellobo. I have found that the piano wire has more memory and does no fatigue as easily. I'm not certain but I believe it has a higher percentage of silicon with just under 1% carbon. 1095 or 5160 seems to maintain its shape in the smaller diameters. The 301 SS works well also. At least that was my experience when working with small diameter wires. I believe we have a responsibity to be technical with such information due to the potential consequences of trigger alterations.