PDA

View Full Version : model 110 fp tactical

rjoy
11-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi
I'm new to the forum. i have a older savage 110 FP Tactical 25-06 i bought back in 95-96 i used it in PA to hunt deer and chucks. i moved and this year I've gotten back into hunting after a few years of not hunting. i want to make it my project rifle with a decent stock either thumb hole or pistol grip stock. I'm looking for suggestions.. i read a lot about the Choate stocks ,McMillan, and a bunch on the net.
any tips or info would be great
thank you
rich

DGD6MM
11-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the site Rich, I have a McMillan and a Bell& Carlson Medalist. Both of these stock are good choices, the Choate for your rifle I don't care for. The McMillan is expensive but a little better then the medalist, but with that being said I'd go with the Medalist any day and keep the rest of the cash for other shooting supplies. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

dolomite_supafly
11-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I have a Stockade PDS/T stock and it is a very good stock. It is rigid yet lightweight and these are built one at a time to your specs. I had mine built with a slightly longer LOP than standard. I had them install the aluminum for sling swivels but not drill them.

The money saver makes it an excellent value if you are a bit handy. Mostly all you have to do is fill a few pin holes and sand flush the molding lines. It took me less than an hour to have mine finished using glazing putty, which is what they recommend. They even have a finishing kit available for sale if you don't want to buy your own.

They can inlet for virtually any action, including yours. Even without bedding my rifle became more consistent after installing it in the Stockade stock.

Dolomite

rjoy
11-21-2009, 04:25 PM
thank you both. i guess i have to do some more research and maybe see if i can locate these stocks already setup at stores or shows

dolomite_supafly
11-21-2009, 05:01 PM
thank you both. i guess i have to do some more research and maybe see if i can locate these stocks already setup at stores or shows

You will not find the Stockade stocks at stores because each one is built to order according to YOUR specs. I have never heard anyone complain about their Stockade stocks. I am sure there are those out there that weren't happy but I would say that is extremely rare.

The B&C's are available at numerous online retailers and most prices are withing $5 once shipping is calculated. I spent a few days calling every distributor of B&C stocks and all were so close it really didn't matter who I got it from. I have held them and was going to order one until I called Stockade. I had absolutely no intention of buying a stock from them and only wanted to get some advice on a build. Kevin was so personable and knowledgeable that I bought numerous items from him. It was the best money I have spent in a VERY, VERY long time. He is passionate about the products he makes and it shows in the quality.

The Choate stocks are something different than anything else I have held. You really need to find one to hold before buying one. Most people either hate them or love them and for me I hated them. The two biggest distractors are the weight and the size and angle of the grip. I have average hands and it was difficult to get a decent grip on a Choate Sniper or Varmint stocks. They do have a collapsible stock also but the grip is the same on it also.

Dolomite

ETA:
Here is a guy who is unhappy with his Choate stock just a few posts down.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,27451.0.html

renn
11-25-2009, 03:56 AM
there is a new Choate stock for 110s coming out this week according to MidwayUSA

rjoy
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
i saw a site "lone wolf rifle stocks" they showed a really nice pistol grip stock, but they don't make stocks for savage :(

rjtfroggy
11-27-2009, 07:21 AM
take a look at richards microfit stocks. They do wood and /or laminate with plenty of choices.

firemachine69
11-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the site Rich, I have a McMillan and a Bell& Carlson Medalist. Both of these stock are good choices, the Choate for your rifle I don't care for. The McMillan is expensive but a little better then the medalist, but with that being said I'd go with the Medalist any day and keep the rest of the cash for other shooting supplies. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Unless you're a southpaw like me, then the McMillan is your only option. :D

stonecold1
11-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi
I'm new to the forum. i have a older savage 110 FP Tactical 25-06 i bought back in 95-96 i used it in PA to hunt deer and chucks. i moved and this year I've gotten back into hunting after a few years of not hunting. i want to make it my project rifle with a decent stock either thumb hole or pistol grip stock. I'm looking for suggestions.. i read a lot about the Choate stocks ,McMillan, and a bunch on the net.
any tips or info would be great
thank you
rich

I'm new here too. Not trying to hijack your thread. I figured this question could help both of us, since I have the same rig as you. I have been getting conflicting information on what stocks will fit the pre '99 110FP Tactical. I have a B&C Duramaxx stock on hand for my build. I have been told that all of the 110 series has the 5.06" stock bolt spacing. Therefore, any 110 stock will fit this rifle. Is that true or not?

GaCop
11-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Correct "stonecold" to a point. Be sure it's for your staggered feed and not a centerfeed. If you plan on only bench shooting single shot, then it doesn't matter.

rjoy
11-30-2009, 01:41 PM
i know i have the long action with space at 5.06. Don't want sound dumb, but when you say center feed or stagger feed mine you top feed and they stagger as you load the rifle. I guess i really never saw a center fed. I've only had my rifle since 95-96 never really paid attention to wether it was center or stagger until i started looking to put a better stock on it. I got to say that these forums are a lot of help and every one is great about sharing info.
thanks

Rich