PDA

View Full Version : Laminate stock color selection?

CheckFire
11-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Great forum! Been a Savage shooter a looong time w/ a 110e in 30-06, BUT now I want to build a 338-06 or 35 Whelen on this action just because... I tend to be a traditional/ classic hunter/rifleman, have a few synthetics and wood stocks in various deer/elk calibers, but I wish to indulge myself w/ something different yet still field practical. I intend to restock this Savage w/ a Boyd's JRS Laminate(kudos on the new pricing) and can't decide on the coloration, thus I beseech your esteemed opinions.
What do you think of the Royal Jacaranda colors(rose/black/brown), Desert Camo(orange/black/brown) or the Forest Camo(olive/black/brown)? Otherwise, I could just stick w/ the Walnut finish, but I'm thinking something different that looks sexy...
I hunt the SE forests mostly, and MT, and am planning Africa--the Forest Camo fits them all, but I have other suitable rifles, too--the Royal Jacaranda would seem suitable for desert/sandhills/Africa, which are the main places I would use this chambering.

Does anyone have any of these colors and how do you like them?

All opinions on colors and my thinking appreciated!

ellobo
11-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Your color choice is fine as is your decision to go .35 Whelen. I built one on an older 110 action. >338-06 is also a great choice. I used a Boyds JRS on a .308 build. Laminates are heavy so I thinned it out considerably so it was more like a factory laminate. Using a block plane or rasp tends to pull fibres from the cross grain plies requiring a lot of sanding to remove the marks. JRS in walnut would be ny next choice, easier to thin out.

El Lobo

fatdaddy
11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I have 5 boyds stocks. yellow\black, blue\black, purple\black, greenish\gray, and a pink\black one on the wifes 10-22 ruger. I love boyds thumbhole varminter.The Royal Jacaranda has always been one of my favorite colors, I dont know why I dont own one, maybe I need a new rifle..... Bill

CheckFire
11-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. The points on sanding laminates are well-taken. I will likely do only the minimum sanding/inletting needed as I feel the weight may help lessen recoil. I'm just questioning myself on the colors, as this is a step out of the box for my usual tastes. But at Boyd's pricing, I can always change my mind!
I also read the threads on 338-06 v. 35Whelen---it appears the .35 w/ factory loadings will best suit my time constraints for now. I have great confidence in the Colonel for this rifle's intended purpose.
Also, my subscription payment is on the way! Thanks again--CF

JCalhoun
11-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I used to have a Royal Jackaranda stock. It got a lot of looks.

Anyway, at a distance it looked like sombody spilled red wine on it.

I'd go with a .35 Whelen.

CheckFire
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I used to have a Royal Jackaranda stock. It got a lot of looks.

Anyway, at a distance it looked like sombody spilled red wine on it.

I'd go with a .35 Whelen.

Thank you sir for your input---I 'spose I've spilt a thimblefull o' Cabernet in my time---toooo much rose(red) is my concern, but I'll call Boyds' tomorrow. Maybe they can email me a full-size pic of the RJ color, it is a bit difficult to picture the color even using their color chart sample. Perhaps I'm just too old to be sexy, I ain't no Sean Connery ya' know!