PDA

View Full Version : .223 Brass

andrewst35
01-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Im thinking of buying a Savage FF bolt action. NatchezSS has lake city brass, new, unprimed for $120 per 1k. Is this pretty good brass or would you suggest something else? I wont be loading hot just target loads.

GaCop
01-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Nothing wrong with Lake City at all, go for it. Being military brass, it may be a bit thick reducing the internal capacity. If you change to commercial cases, you will have to retest your load as you may loose some velocity.

Welcome to the forums!

andrewst35
01-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the help. Im hoping it gets better reloads per case. I'll fire form, then neck size rill it vets tight then full length size.

sgreen3
01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I ordered this from brassman http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/-strse-134/%28201g%29-*COMBO-PACK*-223/Detail Comes with brass and bullets. Good plinking and practice stuff.

darkker
01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
for Lake city, try
www.gibrass.com

andrewst35
01-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the link. Brassman has excellent bulk prices. Would you try lake city or other brands? He suggested a small base die. Would this be needed for a bolt action? Would you try 55 or 62 gr bullets?

earl39
01-06-2012, 12:54 AM
He suggested a small base die. Would this be needed for a bolt action? Would you try 55 or 62 gr bullets?

A small base die should be used for auto loaders and when working with range brass for the first resizing. A regular die will work fine for resizing and to set the should back for brass shot in your rifle. If all you buy is new brass don't worry about the small base die but if you buy once fired you need it. For short range nothing wrong with the 52's or 55's for longer range go with the heavier bullets. If you just want it simple find what your gun shoots best and stay with it.

andrewst35
01-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Its once fire brass that im thinking of buying. So do I need the small base die? Also which brass would get the most reloads? He sells lake city, winchester, etc...

earl39
01-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Odds are with once fired you will need a small base die. After you size it with the small base die you should be able to use a regular die for all subsequent sizing. I have always found Lake City brass to have a long life if not over worked and/or annealed. You may have to remove the primer crimp tho.

GaCop
01-07-2012, 07:26 AM
He suggested a small base die. Would this be needed for a bolt action? Would you try 55 or 62 gr bullets?

A small base die should be used for auto loaders and when working with range brass for the first resizing. A regular die will work fine for resizing and to set the should back for brass shot in your rifle. If all you buy is new brass don't worry about the small base die but if you buy once fired you need it. For short range nothing wrong with the 52's or 55's for longer range go with the heavier bullets. If you just want it simple find what your gun shoots best and stay with it.

+1, good advice.

helotaxi
01-07-2012, 09:36 AM

I completely disagree with the highlighted portion. I've loaded very little other than range brass and has sized it with nothing but a Lyman or Lee FL die. It cycles reliably in my ARs and certainly has no problems in my .223 bolt gun. It is very rare that a small base die is needed and it's usually a problem with a tigh chamber on a particular firearm rather than an issue with the brass.

earl39
01-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I completely disagree with the highlighted portion. I've loaded very little other than range brass and has sized it with nothing but a Lyman or Lee FL die. It cycles reliably in my ARs and certainly has no problems in my .223 bolt gun. It is very rare that a small base die is needed and it's usually a problem with a tigh chamber on a particular firearm rather than an issue with the brass.

this is from Midwayusa website for the Lee dies...."Use the full length sizing die to produce ammunition to factory-new specifications using cases fired in other guns. The collet neck sizing die will allow you to produce ammunition that is fire-formed to the chamber of one rifle."
That should tell you the die is cut to min spec as is an RCBS small base die.
Because neither Lyman nor Lee have a die listed as small base one must assume that both companies use the minimum spec to make their dies. RCBS on the other hand have both a standard and a small base die listed. Small base will size back to min factory spec and the standard die will size somewhere in the mid to upper factory spec range.

TORCHRIDER
01-07-2012, 02:38 PM
You do not need a small base die for resizing LC brass. I have FL resized with regular dies and used in several different bolt and semi-auto guns without an issue.

Bad Water Bill
01-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Small die WHY?

I have used range pickup or once fired military to convert 223 brass to 20 VT, 221 fireball, 222, and of course 223 without a problem. Of course these were all Savage short actions so why should I have a problem? Yes the 20 VT were special order but not small base.

PS just picked up 2K more LC 07 for inventory.

fyimo
01-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I have a Custom 30-06 built on a K98 action with Douglas barrel and I had to go with small base dies for it because it has such a tight chamber. I went through 3 sets of regular dies before I was told to buy an RCBS small base sizing die and that solved the problem. The poster may or may not need a small base resizing die based on how tight his chamber is.

dcloco
01-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Depends on WHAT chamber the brass was fired in and what chamber the brass will be fire in.

darkker
01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
You do not need a small base die for resizing LC brass. I have FL resized with regular dies and used in several different bolt and semi-auto guns without an issue.

Agreed 100%
I have never had to use SB dies, just full length stuff.