PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Model 99 - Almost a Sad Tale

MikeCTX
11-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Was at the local range the other day, and father and son sat at the benches next to me - noticed a nice looking 99 that they pulled out of a NICE tooled scabbard. They went about setting up a couple of bolt guns as well and the son started to sight in the 99. Between breaks overheard them discussing the 99, and finally while the son was down range hanging a new target spoke with the dad. Mentioned that was a nice looking old Savage 99, he said it was His Dad's. Ask a few more questions (had noticed a box of 22-250 on the bench) and ask how it was shooting. He said they could not get it on paper...hmmmmm I thought, ask a few more questions and then ask what caliber it was -yeah you know this is coming...it was a 250-3000 not a 22-250. I advised them that I would not shoot anymore of the 22-250 rounds, since it was the wrong ammo. The son came back and they said it was all they could find - guess it was a good thing the parent case was a 250, but after they left I picked up one of those 22-250 cases - the mouth on that thing was open more than a 30-06 - Yikes.

Anyhow, was cool to see the 250 Savage and hopefully they did not damage it too much.

Fjold
11-21-2009, 02:06 AM
The parent case of the 22.250 is the 250-3000 Savage, it is just necked down to 22 caliber. It ought to be as accurate as a thrown baseball with the bullet just rattling down that bore.

stevec
11-21-2009, 12:48 PM
doubt it done any damage to the rifle but the brass has prolly seen better days.

A friend of mine was shooting his 6br and complained it wasnt shooting quite as good as it did the day before. Still shot under 3/4 inch but he new it could do better. I noticed a case lying on the bench and it was a 6ppc that had been fireformed to 6br. He had grabbed the wrong box! I have always been amazed at how good it shot.

Steve

Mad Dog
11-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Two of my buddies got their guns mixed up last year. They're brothers and have the exact same Rem model 7600 pumps, right down to the same sling and scopes. Only difference is one was a 30-06 and the other a 35 Whelen. Needless to say the next week after the moose opener one jammed and the other got 2 30 cal bullets shot down the pipe before they figured it out. Not a good thing.