PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Stevens model 77e 12 gauge shotgun Help

Englander
01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
My father in-law gave me his Stevens model 77e 12 gauge shotgun, the barrel it is stamped "2 3/4 Inch chamber" and has a 5L on the left side and then a SP on the right side.
When I took the fore end off I found the words police and a serial number hand written. Could any one tell me any more about this gun ?

I also want to clean the gun a little more as it has not been used in a long time but not sure if I have the skill to strip it down any more with out some pointers.

Thanks for your time

Mad Dog
01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
It was made in 1960, can't tell you much more than that but it would have been interesting if they engraved what state or precinct the shotgun belonged to at one time.

Neat find.

Eric in NC
01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
It was made in 1960, can't tell you much more than that but it would have been interesting if they engraved what state or precinct the shotgun belonged to at one time.

Neat find.

Could also be a evidence room number!

Englander
01-06-2012, 09:06 AM
So the L is the date 1960 what is the 5 and SP

Eric you are scaring me ;-) I will have to dig in to the history of where it came from.

Any hints on cleaning it ?

Eric in NC
01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Wouldn't be worried - they used to auction off siezed and evidence guns back in the good old days (instead of scrapping them like they do now).

GaCop
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM

Neat find.

Could also be a evidence room number!

+1. Sold at auction after case was adjucated in court.