PDA

View Full Version : Model 116 6.5-.284

Primer
01-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Trying to help my Dad set up a rifle he just traded for. I have and shoot numerous Savage rifles but have no experience with this one. It is a Savage Model 116 that appears to have come from Cabelas. Looks a lot like a Weather Warrior except it has a heavy, fluted barrell. Hinged floor plate. Accu-trigger. Very smooth action for what its worth! I think from looking around its a Long Range Hunter but have never seen one and just wanted to check.

My main question is that it came with bases already attached. Are these worth keeping? Should I replace them for him? Are they Weaver or Picatinny? I have single piece EGW bases on my other Savages and I am going to try and set this rifle up so he can shoot out to 500 (maybe more ;). Have a Sightron III 6.5-24x50 to put on it for him. So new base and rings or just new rings?

Any other experiences you can share would be great, thanks in adavance for any help!

darkker
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Without a pic I can't tell you what they are, but it really doesn't matter.
If they don't seem like a flexable plastic, use them.
My $0.02

Cycler
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Without a pic I can't tell you what they are, but it really doesn't matter.If they don't seem like a flexable plastic, use them. My $0.02
+1. Weaver and Picatinny bases almost always accept the same rings so use the existing bases unless you have a clear need for something else, like a 20 moa base for long range use.

stangfish
01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Brownells explains the difference. I believe it to be weaver also.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10724/guntechdetail/Picatinny_Rails__Weaver_Rails__What_s_The_Differen ce_

Very nice scope BTW. What rings do you plan on using?

robert d
01-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I think the early LHR 6-5 284 had a fluted barrel with muzz brake and version one accustock not sure model # I think 111 though. I have that scope on a LRH version 2, 6-5 284 very good scope you wont need 20moa base to shoot out to 500yds. MY scope is 30mm tube I would use the rings you have unless you find something going on with unexplained accurarcy. MY question is did someone rebarrel that gun. Have you shot it yet with factory loads. HSM makes factory ammo for 6-5 284 norma 140 gr bergers to shoot the 1-8 twist which I believe was savage standard barrel and chambering for the LRH they clock in at about 2850 fps. I'm sure someone else on this forum might know if thats a factory 6-5 284 norma chamber.

Primer
01-06-2012, 07:35 AM
So the answer is...Model 116. Finally called Savage and it is a special run. Medium heavy, fluted barrell. Gun is new so i have not shot it though I did order some of the HSM ammo mentioned. Confirmed the bases are Weaver and while perfectly good will likely be removed for an EGW single piece. Took delivery of the scope yesterday, looks to be a great piece of equipment. Hope to have things set up in a few days and will report back on range day. Thanks for help and insights!

robert d
01-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a good rifle, thats what I was looking for but they quit making the fluted basrrel when I bought mine. Does the rifle have muzzle brake what leagth barrel, and what does it weigh the flutting might bring the weight down some.

Primer
01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
22" barrell and no muzzle break. EGW base should be here first of the week, hope to mount scope and shoot next weekend. I will report back when I have some feedback.