PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me it's not true!!!!

Ingwe
01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
I have been shooting Federal Premium 39gr Match King loads in my 204 Ruger...they shoot 1 hole groups from my Savage M12LPV.

I heard a rumor that Federal has recently discontinued this load. I am waiting to hear from them, but I am wondering if any of you have any knowledge of this horrible rumor and know if this is true or not.

I am not a handloader, and this will be a real pain in the ass for me!

If true, any suggestions for me??

Thanks!

Frank ???

stevec
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
They dont list it on thier website anymore. better buy all you can.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-1249-federal-premium-v-shok-ammunition-204-ruger-39-grain-sierra-blitzking-box-of-20.aspx

They offer free shipping if you buy a case.

Steve

psharon97
01-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Have you considered reloading? If you have, then just get the load that federal is using and continue having fun.

Ingwe
01-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks guy's for the response. I am waiting for Federal's reply but as Steve says it's not listed on their website.

I have considered reloading but I don't want to start until I can do it seriously.

I could have someone duplicate the load for me...is that possible?? I asume that Federal would not make their load spec's public.

The 39gr MK's average 3778fps from my rifle

jhelmuth
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
You could take one cartridge and disasemble it to intelligently "guess" as to what powder they use. Once you reasonably know that, you can begin to figure out what "formula" is best in your rifle/barrel. Nice thing is that when you end up having to change barrels, you'll know more than enough to find that barrels right combination too!

Joe O
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned.You're gun will more than likely shoot smaller groups with reloads using the 39gr sierra BKs,with a various powders.My LRPV 204 shot the Federal 39s in .333,right out of the box,but subsequent reloads were in the 2s,at 3700-3825 fps(different loadings).

darkker
01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
That velocity is pretty run of the mill, so trying to duplicate it really isn't a big deal.
Win 748 is one step ahead of BL-C(2), 2 ahead of CFE223, and a couple below Varget for burn rate; so you have quite a few choices.
As to the not reloading issue, I shot those velocities out of my Savage with standard Hornady factory ammo.
FWIW

jhelmuth
01-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Don't regret... just RELOAD! :D

I have been shooting Federal Premium 39gr Match King loads in my 204 Ruger...they shoot 1 hole groups from my Savage M12LPV.

I heard a rumor that Federal has recently discontinued this load. I am waiting to hear from them, but I am wondering if any of you have any knowledge of this horrible rumor and know if this is true or not.

I am not a handloader, and this will be a real pain in the @$$ for me!

If true, any suggestions for me??

Thanks!

Frank ???

fyimo
01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Reloading will save you money after the inital equipment is paid for.