PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Barrel Crown

dksac2
01-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Most of the barrel crowns on the Savages are decent, but I've seen more than a few a little off center and some that had the rifling messed up from the pilot used for the muzzle cutter.

Take a magnifying glass and closely look at the ring on the rifling, if it's uneven, just a little or a lot, it will hurt the accuracy. A factory crown can always be improved.

If you find this, it's time to have the muzzle re cut.
In my opinion, there is only one right way to get the best crown cut, that is using a PTG crowing tool.

It has pilots that fit snugly in the barrel and spin so the rifling is not hurt, the cutter cuts the crown all at once.

Single point crowning can do a good job, but will push a very little amount of metal into the bore, the PTG as it cuts all at once does not do this.
The barrel must be removed from the action and put in the lathe, centered off of the bore both in front and at the rear in the spider. This takes a 6 jaw chuck with each jaw independent of the other so that the bore can be dialed in perfect. The cutter is then held in the tailstock in a movable reamer cutter. This is the only way to get a perfect crown, other ways may be close, but this way is perfect. When done, the edge of the bore is so sharp, it can cut your finger, but it makes the gun shoot to maximum potential as far as the crown is concerned. If you want every last bit of accuracy, this is the way to cut the crown.

Many don't realize, but when it comes to accuracy, the crown is one of the most important things on the barrel for tight groups.
Protect the muzzle at all costs so it does not get damaged, especially when cleaning.

I clean from the breach and as soon as the jag exits the bore, before it's all the way out, I carefully unscrew it and remove it then guide the rod out of the bore. Seems anal, but if you want the crown to last, that is how you will do it.

My Best, John K