PDA

View Full Version : Changing Varmint inlet to Sporter inlet????

jumpalot
01-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Thinking about buying a Duramaxx or a Tactical Medalist but they are only inletted for a varmint barrel and I have a #3 Brux. Is it possible to bed the barrel channel to match the barrel? How would you go about it? It seems like it would take an awful lot of bedding compound to fill the gap. I've bedded an action before using Devcon so I know the basics.

Jetpig
01-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Bed the barrel full length with JB Weld, then 30 hours later use the appropriate size deep well socket and sand it enough to free float it. Oh yea, don't forget the release agent!!!

barrel-nut
01-03-2012, 01:13 AM
For a forearm, fiberglass reenforced bondo works well too and is lighter, cheaper, and easier to sand down. Nice green color. I even did my first action bedding job with this stuff, though I don't recommend it for action bedding. Works great as a stiff filler in a stock though.

GaCop
01-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Any way you choose to do it, the bedding will show along the edge of the barrel channel. If you mask the edge of the stock along the barrel channel and paint the stock, that would hide the bedding.