PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: Model 64

titus2423
01-02-2012, 11:17 PM
So after getting a couple gift cards over the holidays, I felt I would put them to good use. Today I went and put a Savage Model 64 on layaway. Couldn't bring her home today because the background people are still out for the holidays but she'll be waiting for me Thursday morning.

I've read a little about the 64's, and despite some people saying they're cheaply made and aren't very reliable, I felt otherwise when I held the rifle in my hands today. Decided that I would keep with the trend and get another Savage (this will be my third rifle from them). I love how accurate the two are that I already have and I don't expect this one to be any different.

I absolutely cannot wait to bring this guy home, break it down, clean it and get out to the range!

titus2423
01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Picked up the Savage today. Brought her home and broke her down a little bit. About the only thing I would change with this rifle is the stock. It's just gonna be a plinking gun so the scope will be sufficient. Doesn't need a sling either, so no adding studs either. Now just to get to the range and see what she's made of.

Some pics...
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMAG0416.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMAG0423.jpg

MaDa
01-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I have one also. Just shoot bulk federal ammo with it so I never bothered to grab a target and measure it. I want to though just for kicks.

GaCop
01-08-2012, 08:59 AM
You could always bed the action in the plastic stock. Check to be sure the barrel is floated. If you want decent accuracy out to 75 yards, that scope has got to go IMHO.

titus2423
01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
If I were to get a different scope for this little guy, which really wouldn't be anything top dollar, what kind of mounting system would I want to go with? Since it's not drilled and tapped, what kind of mounting system would I need to come up with? Would I still need bases AND rings, or are there rings that would mate right up to the dovetail?

GaCop
01-09-2012, 06:43 AM
If I were to get a different scope for this little guy, which really wouldn't be anything top dollar, what kind of mounting system would I want to go with? Since it's not drilled and tapped, what kind of mounting system would I need to come up with? Would I still need bases AND rings, or are there rings that would mate right up to the dovetail?

You'd use standard tip off rings for a 1" tube. My Marlin 925 is not D&T'd so I have to use the 3/8" tip off rings too.

titus2423
01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
That's good to know, thanks Ga. When we go camping for the Memorial and Labor Day weekends, we stay at a little compound out in the middle of nowhere. That's where the bulk of my shooting takes place and that's why I bought this guy. The .270 kicks too much to shoot a couple of boxes all at once and the .17 HMR costs too much for a box of 50. This guy is the happy medium. I can't wait to put a bunch of rounds through it and see how it performs.

titus2423
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
I was able to throw some rounds down the tube of this guy and it didn't do too bad. The ammo I had to shoot was Remington Thunderbolts. It was given to me before I had the rifle so it was all that I had to shoot. The guys over on rimfirecentral.com said this was some sub-par ammo. It was so-so.

I fired off 100 rounds and, in the first 30, I had 5 or 6 FTF's. In the next 70 rounds, I didn't have any FTF's. Overall, the action cycled pretty smoothly even after there was a noticeable carbon build up (I couldn't, and still can't, believe how dirty the Thunderbolts are). I didn't have any targets set up to shoot at (I was at our deer camp and the creek was too high to cross) but I did have a piece of plywood to shoot at. It was covered in snow and I knew I was hitting it because each shot would knock off a bit of snow. My "target" was about 60 yards away. Surprisingly, the little scope the rifle came with wasn't all that bad either. Upon shouldering the rifle, I didn't really have any difficulty acquiring a sight picture.

All in all, for the first 100 rounds through this rifle, I couldn't be happier with how it performed. Despite the negativity I've seen in numerous places about the ammo I had, as well as the scope, I've got every reason to believe I've got one heck of a rifle on my hands. Of course, to be completely convinced, I still need plenty more time at the range with a couple other types of ammo. Who in their right mind would have a problem with that? Haha, thanks for reading all

GaCop
01-18-2012, 08:50 AM
I was able to throw some rounds down the tube of this guy and it didn't do too bad. The ammo I had to shoot was Remington Thunderbolts. It was given to me before I had the rifle so it was all that I had to shoot. The guys over on rimfirecentral.com said this was some sub-par ammo. It was so-so.

I fired off 100 rounds and, in the first 30, I had 5 or 6 FTF's. In the next 70 rounds, I didn't have any FTF's. Overall, the action cycled pretty smoothly even after there was a noticeable carbon build up (I couldn't, and still can't, believe how dirty the Thunderbolts are). I didn't have any targets set up to shoot at (I was at our deer camp and the creek was too high to cross) but I did have a piece of plywood to shoot at. It was covered in snow and I knew I was hitting it because each shot would knock off a bit of snow. My "target" was about 60 yards away. Surprisingly, the little scope the rifle came with wasn't all that bad either. Upon shouldering the rifle, I didn't really have any difficulty acquiring a sight picture.

All in all, for the first 100 rounds through this rifle, I couldn't be happier with how it performed. Despite the negativity I've seen in numerous places about the ammo I had, as well as the scope, I've got every reason to believe I've got one heck of a rifle on my hands. Of course, to be completely convinced, I still need plenty more time at the range with a couple other types of ammo. Who in their right mind would have a problem with that? Haha, thanks for reading all

Yes, you'll find most Remington ammunition shoots poorly. The only exception to that has been the "Rem Yellow Jacket" in my Marlin 925. Accuracy is great but the trunicated cone bullet tends to hang up on the edge of my chamber. I've had good results from CCI Mini-Mag solids and CCI Blazer solids. Wolf Target shoots well in my rifle but they cost quite a bit more per box than US made rimfire.