PDA

View Full Version : butler creek barrels

zap
01-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I have read that Butler creek has discontinued making 10 22 barrels. I don't even own one but found some at what seems to be a very good price. The ones I found are chambered for 17 hmr.

Are these barrels any good ?

Carvera
01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I have built many, many custom Ruger 10/22 rifles and have used many, many different barrel brands.

The Butler Creek barrels were typically at the bottom of the spectrum. Problems would range from fit, finish, bad chambers, you name it. I've had builds with Butler Creek barrels and have not been impressed. But I know that others have had nothing but success with them.

Go figure.....

lskok
01-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I have read that Butler creek has discontinued making 10 22 barrels. I don't even own one but found some at what seems to be a very good price. The ones I found are chambered for 17 hmr.

You have to have a 10/22 chambered in 22 Mag to use any 17 HMR barrels. I think there has been some issues with 17 HMR's in semi-auto's if I'm not mistaken.

GaCop
01-03-2012, 07:48 AM

You have to have a 10/22 chambered in 22 Mag to use any 17 HMR barrels. I think there has been some issues with 17 HMR's in semi-auto's if I'm not mistaken.

Correct, warning was to use the 17 HMR in a bolt action only. I don't know if the ammo problem has been sorted out.