PDA

View Full Version : First post and 110e

wvreload
12-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Hello everyone! This is a great site with loads of info. Well lets get down to it, I've got a Savage 110e 30-06. I've had this rifle a long time and wanted to do something with it. I want to swap a barrel and a stock. My biggest problem is what barrel? This is gonna basically be a range gun, no competitions or anything. I would like a heavy barrel, but no too heavy, if that makes any sense.lol This will be my first build, so I don't know what the heck I'm talking about!lol All help will be appreciated, thanks.

GaCop
01-01-2012, 07:06 AM
There are three main sources for parts (site sponsors) to rebuild a Savage, Sharp Shooter Supply, Sinarms and Northland Shooter Supply. Parts can also be obtained from Midway USA and Brownell's. Becoming a "paid member" allows you to access the classifieds, which is also a source of parts. The 12/year for paid membership is well worth the money because you will also have access to the technical articles.

A standard varmint weight barrel should fill the bill for your requirements. Stocks are available from a number of sources who are also site sponsors and are listed at the top of this page. Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut". Forum members are always ready and willing to help with any problems you may encounter.

ellobo
01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
The next time you post questions include as much info about your rifle as you can, such as; does it have a flat rear on the reciever, Does it have a detachable old style magazine with the release on the side of the stock? What cartridge will you be swapping for, etc. Good luck and dont be afraid to ask here. The $12 spent to join the forum is well worth it. As for stocks, many are available. I recommend Boyds which are relatively cheap (around $100) and are drop in type and look very nice on any rifle.

El Lobo

stangfish
01-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Ellobo hit it with the info. A lot of experience here and the advice comes from a wide variety of backgrounds. It's all good.

Hey ellobo whats this Basic User icon next to your name... ;D

ellobo
01-02-2012, 02:43 AM
Stangfish, I will not be making or rebarreling anymore Savages due to age and being flat broke on Soc. Sec. unless someone comes to me for help on a build. I only hunt and shoot for my own amazement. The competition days are over for me darn it. Eyes arnt as good as they never were and ammo and components are expensive. So sitting here dispensing advice based on my travails with building 3 Savages and writing articles for outdoor magazines is all I can do these days. Not much sense in my spending 12$. Please dont judge me too harshly.

El Lobo

GaCop
01-02-2012, 05:59 AM
Stangfish, I will not be making or rebarreling anymore Savages due to age and being flat broke on Soc. Sec. unless someone comes to me for help on a build. I only hunt and shoot for my own amazement. The competition days are over for me darn it. Eyes arnt as good as they never were and ammo and components are expensive. So sitting here dispensing advice based on my travails with building 3 Savages and writing articles for outdoor magazines is all I can do these days. Not much sense in my spending 12$. Please dont judge me too harshly.

El Lobo

No one here worth his salt will judge you. We're glad to have you and your knowledge.

stangfish
01-02-2012, 11:06 AM

El Lobo

Judge you? I am paying for your membership.

barrel-nut
01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
I only hunt and shoot for my own amazement.

+++111

I love that line!
If it ever ceases to be amazing, I'm hanging it up! Keep at it, ellobo!

barrel-nut
01-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Wvreload, sounds like what you need is one of the ER Shaw barrel kits from Midway USA. You need a small shank barrel, in any of the .478 bolt face calibers, such as .243, 6MM Rem, .25-06, .270, .260, 7-08, .280, .308, you already have .30-06, not sure if you want to go up from there, but there are a few others. If you don't like any of those, you can do just about any other caliber with a swap to the appropriate bolt head.

The kit comes with a barrel, wrench, and headspace gauges. These are not the highest quality barrels, but they're not bad either. Probably on par with factory barrels, maybe slightly better.

As far as stocks, I think a long action Bell and Carlson Duramaxx would fix you up, if you go with a varmint contour barrel. These are affordable, good quality, good looking stocks that are available in a bunch of colors/ camo patterns. They are a good blend of range/hunting stock; relatively light and not too bulky. Also, these are for blind magazine rifles only- no detachable mags.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=4294846288&dimensionids=4294845197&statuses=Available&statuses=In+Stock&statuses=Backorder+OK&statuses=Special+Order&statuses=Not+Available&statuses=No+Backorder&statuses=Coming+Soon&statuses=Other&minPrice=&maxPrice=&sortBy=1&itemsPerPage=20&PreviousCategoryDimensionId=3290&promotionId=&userSearchQuery=

All of this is available from Midway USA. No FFL required.

ellobo
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
To all those that answered my post, a greatfull thank you for your kind words. I am amazed that I have spent over 25 days, yes, days on this forum. And I am still learning. I have built three Savages into a 7x57, .35 Whelen and .308. Restocked except the 7x57. Without the help I recieved here it may never have been accomplished. Again, thanks.

E Lobo

Baryngyl
01-03-2012, 02:42 AM
I am amazed that I have spent over 25 days, yes, days on this forum.

E Lobo

I am not sure how the days logged in works, but I am at "Total time logged in: 7 days, 22 hours and 39 minutes.", which just does not seem right, as I have spent as much as 10-12 at a time on here reading at least a dozen times, plus many many times of a few hours at a time.

Michael Grace

wvreload
01-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Well thanks for all the info. As for the back of bolt/ action area, I think it's flat. This gun is pretty old I've had it atleast 20 years. After reading the posts hear and on other threads, I think I'm gonna leave the barrel alone. It shoots great the way it is. I'm still gonna get a new stock, trigger, and a few other accessories.

Thanks again for the input.