PDA

View Full Version : Loc-Tite

lwink
11-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Do you guys use loc-tite for your action and/or scope mount screws? A simple yes or no is fine, but I'd be interested in a why (or why not more likely). Thanks.

geargrinder
11-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Action, No.

Scope mounts, yes. Mostly for peace of mind.

ellobo
11-20-2009, 02:37 AM
ditto on the no for action screws, yes on all scope mounting screws so recoil does not shake them loose. Be sure to use a removable or small screw grade of loctite as you may not be able to get them off in using one of the tougher grades. The front screw on the mounts may be too long and hit the barrel threads which meeans two things; one is that you cant tighten that screw and two is that it will act like a set screw on the barrel threads if you want to swap barrels.

El Lobo

pdog06
11-20-2009, 09:46 AM
same here... No for the action screws and yes on all scope screws, and also on trigger adjustment screws(aftermarket triggers). I also wondered if anyone used any on action screws, but I've never had the action screws come loose so I guess it's not really a problem.

Blue Avenger
11-21-2009, 12:31 AM
same as above :)

DGD6MM
11-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Teele1 uses blue loctite, earlier this week I took off a 7-08 barrel- 1st removing the scope and base. I had some loose screws and when I told Teele1 he promptly said THAT"S WHY I USE BLUE LOCTITE, and I said okie-dokie.... :D

DannoBoone
11-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Teele1 uses blue loctite, earlier this week I took off a 7-08 barrel- 1st removing the scope and base. I had some loose screws and when I told Teele1 he promptly said THAT"S WHY I USE BLUE LOCTITE, and I said okie-dokie.... :D

One might wonder if the screws were actually tight in the first place. I use the "blue"
and never had that problem. The "red" would certainly hold up better, however, one
would need at least a heat gun to soften the stuff for screw removal.

PBinWA
11-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes. I forgot to loctite the base on my 110fcp-k (300 win mag) and it shook loose in about 10 shots. If you have a muzzle brake then you really need to do it. The rings (which I did loctite) where solid.

sharpshooter
11-21-2009, 03:40 PM
There is no reason one should have to use loc-tite on scope base screws on a bolt action rifle. If they come loose, they were never tight enough to start with. The key is good screws, clean holes and the proper fit. I never use loc-tite on base mounts, and never had a problem.
Semi-auto's are a different story, they will shake loose screws because of the secondary recoil.

Quickshot
11-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Don't understand why not on action screws? I put blue loc-tite on all screws and never had a problem. I never use the red though,not if you ever plan on taking it apart. Quick

dcloco
11-21-2009, 08:25 PM
No and no.

I prefer to bed the 1 or 2 piece bases to the action and use plain old white Elmer's glue if you think the base screws are going to come loose.

Wait until you try to take a barrel off that somebody used a ton of loctite on.....you will cuss and cuss.

JCalhoun
11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
If you just absolutely have to use Loctite then you should get the purple stuff. It's designed for fine threads that may have to be removed. The blue, red and green are not suitable for gun use.

Smokepole
11-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I use purple loc-tite on the scope base only. None on the action screws. I don't do the rings. I figure the 'springiness' off the rings clamping over the tube puts enough friction under the head of the screws to act as its own lockwasher. Never had one work loose, but I don't have any hardcore mags either.

Uncle Mike
11-23-2009, 01:22 AM
I'll have to agree with sharpshooter......

No. Unless you have 'bad' screws, there is no need for any thread retaining compound. If you do use the stuff....go purple only!

BIGDAVE54
11-23-2009, 04:00 AM
Yes I use blue LOCTITE on both the scope and the action. I do not buy into the statement that good screws would not come loose. If the screws are removed once there is wear on them. I think it is foolish to send to the factory for new screws each time I take one out. If you have some screws or studs come loose on the model 93 it will slam fire. I have had this happen once and do not want to place myself or an innocent bystander in danger. I do make sure that none of the Loctite has dripped into the barrel or internal workings of the action. It is a good idea to leave the bolt out overnight and inspect these areas after the cure time is up to insure it has not ran down and locked the bolt in place.

Smokepole
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Significant thread wear takes lots more cycles than our firearm's fasteners typically go thru, so I wouldn't consider that much of an issue. If fasteners are picked right for the application, the need for thread locker is not there. There are some applications that it's just plain easy to use thread locker on though, scope bases are one IMO. Action screws are not---you remove them a lot and they're easy to re-torque as necessary.

Woodser
11-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Both here. I play with the action screws tightness for optimizing accuracy. Some rifles like all very tight, some like front action screw tight and rear loose, some like all fairly loose. After finding the optimum torque value, I loctite (blue) the screws and return them to that setting. Use a clicker torque wrench calibrated in inch/lbs.. Do not have any three screw actions, as that would greatly complicate the procedure.

knickia
11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
i used blue locktite on my action screws after they came loose new out of the box while bouncing around on pasture roads..

It might be overkill, simply tightening likely would have fixed, but i was once bit twice shy.