PDA

View Full Version : Bolt won`t close on gage

CARBON-ARCH
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
I have an old 30-06 Super Savage (No barrel nut)that has had the barrel replaced with an old military barrel a long time ago by my father and a friend of his, who was an armourer for the military as i understand it. They have both pasted away so i can`t confirm either.

Well anyways, i decided to try my Go, No-Go gages in it, the bolt want close on either???????? I have shot factory ammo as well as light reloads. Should i have this reamed out a little????????

Thanks in advance

GaCop
11-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Something is amiss. If the bolt won't close on the "GO" gauge, a round shouldn't be able to chamber either?

GUNFANATIC
11-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Something is amiss. If the bolt won't close on the "GO" gauge, a round shouldn't be able to chamber either?

I agree. On the GO gauge, did you try to work the bolt hard, or try it lightly, feel resistence and assume it wouldn't close. Something ain't right here.

EFBell
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Perhaps remove the ejector and try again?

Don - LongRangeSupply
11-21-2009, 12:07 AM
None of my Savages will close on a Go gauge either.....I set them up that way intentionally.

If it will close on a sampling of factory rounds, then all that means is the chamber is tighter than SAAMI spec which is the way I like it!

handirifle
11-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Depending on HOW OLD the rifle is, it may be chambered for the 30-03, which, if I remember correctly, was a tad bit shorter at the shoulder, maybe just .002 or 003", than the 30-06. Someone chime in here if I am wrong.

deerkiller
11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Here's a fair run down on the "03"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-03

Like it says an 06 is shorter than an 03.

dk

CARBON-ARCH
11-23-2009, 11:25 PM
First off i want to thank all for the replies, and suggestions. I apologies for the delayed response, been working a bit of OT since i posted this thread.

I had some time tonight to recheck it, the bolt will close on the GO gage but it takes a quite a bit of force to get the bolt to close. I tried a case that was fired in my other 30-06 with a factory installed barrel, it closed with about the same force as the GO gage?? I have shot factory 30-06 ammo in it, but that was along time ago, and for the life of me i can`t remember how they chambered.

As i stated in the original post, they swapped the barrel, and as i recall they had to make anothe recoil lug for it when they replaced the barrel.

TMS,itp, what is the advantage of having such a tight head spacing?

handirifle, the serial number is a four digit serial number, not sure how old it is. The action looks nothing like the current Savages, has a round ejection port, and a round reciever, with a single stack clip. Age???????

deerkiller, thanks for the link, that is very interesting, wasn`t even aware they existed.

As you can tell, i am new to working with head spacing. (Just did my first barrel swap a couple of weeks ago). Just wanted to thank everyone for helping a rookie out.

handirifle
11-24-2009, 03:30 AM
deerkiller,
Thanks for the correction. The right thought, the wrong direction.

Scrubs
I have no idea how old yours might be. I have one I bought in the early 70's but it's a "J" series and isn't single stack, but staggered.

375Win
11-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Scrubbs

If your rifle says Super Sporter it's a Model 45, the Model 40 was the plain version. They were made from 1928-1940. I used to have an old Savage 99 that someone had shortenned an 03 Springfield barrel and chamberred it to 300 Savage, it was one of the best cast bullet shooters I've ever had my hands on.

375Win