PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun New from NC 311 shooter

MitchellB
12-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi, I’m new a new member from NC that just recently found the site about Savage firearms. I only have 2 Savage firearms at this time; a very old Savage/Stevens 311A 12 gauge that I modified to fit/suit me better and a newer Savage/Stevens 311H that will shoot the longer 3” 12 gauge shells. I once owned an original Stevens 311 that had always been my favorite shotgun until it was stolen many years ago, prompting me to get a replacement for it in the 311A first. The 311A had full and modified barrels but I bored them out to Modified and Improved and the little gun is dream to dove hunt with and makes a nice upland game bird field gun also I think. I’ve just always liked SxS shotguns. Double barrels are what I learned on and they are what I shoot the best. Another feature I really like about these older 311s are that you remove the empty shells by hand instead of them ejecting into the air to the ground to be picked up later every time the action is opened. It may be a little slower, but I like to be able to pull out the empties and put them in my pocket instead of searching around on the ground for them or trying to catch them in the air. Anyway, I look forward to reading, learning and sharing with everyone.

Eric in NC
12-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Welcome. After putting straight grip stocks and splinter forearms and lightening up the springs a bit, I really like my 311s. Not as light and quick to point as my old Ithacas or new CZ bobwhite, but sturdy and the extra weight sure does help if you are shooting high brass loads at tree rats or rabbits.

GaCop
01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Welcome to the forums. There's a wealth of knowledge here.