PDA

View Full Version : Choate tactical stock fitment on 10FP - updated....

fastex500
12-28-2011, 06:34 PM
So I dropped my action/barrel from my stock 10FP into my new Choate Tactical stock and everything work well, but there is a space around the back tang of the receiver (where the safety is). Is this correct or do I need to adjust somewhere? It looks like the receiver is contacting the bedding blocks correctly..... just puzzling.

http://www.carolinahunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/photo.JPG

pdog06
12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Well, the rear tang is supposed to be free floated and yours definatey is that! It does look a little bit more of a gap than usual, but as long as the action is sitting in the beddding block like it should be then I wouldnt worry about it. I have a Choate sitting here that is the same way

fastex500
12-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks pdog. That's what I was hoping, but knew you guys could tell me for sure! Going to hit some 1000 yd steel tomorrow with it.... figured it was a good way to break in a new stock ;D

fastex500
01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Just an update for anyone thinking about the Choate Tactical for their Savage.... it was great! I was hitting 4" clays at 850yds with 178gr A-Max loads. Stock helps absorb recoil (I was moving from the standard tupperware) and felt great.

Here is the finished product. Amazing what some time and Krylon will do (bad cell phone pic).

http://www.gtsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/savage.JPG

124C41
01-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Looks great.

Celtic Warrior
01-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I have the same issue on my Choate Tac stock. I knew it was supposed to be free floated but I was concerned about stuff getting in there and gumming up the works, so I called Choate down in AR. I was lucky enough to have Mr Choate, hisself, answer. I explained the issue and he told me that on the older model Savages it was a closer fit but with the changes the gap is bigger but that it was OK. He said I could fill it in with Marineplex or other epoxy "But to be sure to leave a float gap".

I haven't done this yet, mainly because the only solvent tolerant epoxies I have found are gray and my stock is black.