PDA

View Full Version : go/no go gauges and bolt face

druid w/stick
11-19-2009, 04:40 PM
what do you haveto remove on bolt face so as not to cause any damage and get proper head space? I have sets from midway. Just saw post about manson's where they have a cutout. Greg

dfrosch
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I've never stripped a bolt to headspace a barrel. The ejector is spring loaded and will depress into the bolt head. The firing pin is usually cocked when headspacing, but most gages have a relief for it. And, I want the extractor there to pull the gage out.

Good luck,
Dana

druid w/stick
11-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that you could somehow damage the firing pin or break the extractor. Greg

JCalhoun
11-19-2009, 09:27 PM
The extractor is easy to remove. Just do it in a plastic bag so you don't loose the ball and spring. I use a small flat tip screwdriver to push the clip out of the slot.

GaCop
11-20-2009, 07:06 AM
I agree with dfrosh and do it the same way with no problems.

bajabill
04-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I typically do not remove the extractor to set headspace, but on my 7mm rem mag with the go gage I needed to. The gage would not snap past the extractor and since it is steel, It stated to mark up the extractor. I did not want to force it. This bolt face worked with a 300rum go gage fine with the extractor installed. The extractor was very easy to remove and replace and in the future, if I notice any issue, it will be quickly removed without hesitation.

Dirk
04-09-2010, 07:54 AM
When using go/no-go gages, I want everything on the bolt face that is going to be there when firing a live cartridge.

pa hog
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I remove everything because they can give you false friction during headspacing. The 2min's it takes to strip the head is worth it, there are no advantages on leaving the extractor and ejector in they will just mark -up your gauges.

Dirk
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I remove everything because they can give you false friction during headspacing. The 2min's it takes to strip the head is worth it, there are no advantages on leaving the extractor and ejector in they will just mark -up your gauges.

Read the above post. It's good enough reason for me!

pa hog
04-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Invest in a good 1/16th Pin Punch,Then taking the ejector pin out only takes a second and the extractor is removable by a small flat screwdriver, as it just slides out, just watch for flying parts..

Bad Water Bill
04-09-2010, 07:37 PM
That's why you have been told time after time to do the job INSIDE a 1 gal zip lock bag.

Will you learn?

NO

You love crawling on your hands and knees with a flash lite in your mouth saying where the ---- did that --**-- ball and spring go to :) :)

The DEVIL typed that. It was not me or my puter.

DennisH87
04-11-2010, 09:24 PM
You love crawling on your hands and knees with a flash lite in your mouth saying where the ---- did that --**-- ball and spring go to

Yep. I changed mine without a bag and I ended up looking all over the concrete barn floor for about 15 mins and found that it was about 1 inch away from falling into a crack. I would have NEVER gotten it out of there.

+1 for using a bag.

BillPa
04-11-2010, 10:26 PM
That's why you have been told time after time to do the job INSIDE a 1 gal zip lock bag.

Will you learn?

Bags! ;D

The only time you need a bag is possibly when re-installing the extractor , but then its more APITA than its worth. I haven't used a bag to disassemble or reassemble a bolthead in years!

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,10681.0.html

Bill