PDA

View Full Version : Another Lake City brass question

chesty for president
12-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I came in possession of a few thousand pieces of Lake City LR .308 brass with no primer crimp. I cant find a lot of details on the brass and am wanting to know if its worth a darn. It is all once fired from a bolt gun so it has no dings or dents and cleans up very well. Im wanting to make this my primary brass for reloading 308 due to I have an almost unlimited supply of this brass all 09 and 10 headstamp. Any replies or advice is welcome....Thank you and Happy Holidays

helotaxi
12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
It is excellent brass but IS thicker than commercial brass. Decrease your starting load by %10 and work from there. Some don't like it because it has a lower powder capacity, especially compared to Winchester commercial brass, but it is still very high quality.

dcloco
12-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Ditto what helotaxi said.

Of note, Hodgdon just came out with a new powder - CFE223 (double check that please). Looks like the speed increase in the 223 and 308 is VERY VERY good with this powder.

Son of the Gael
12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
It is excellent brass but IS thicker than commercial brass. Decrease your starting load by %10 and work from there. Some don't like it because it has a lower powder capacity, especially compared to Winchester commercial brass, but it is still very high quality.

Exactly. Use it and be happy.

chesty for president
12-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen I think Ill be posting A LOT of this brass on here to trade I truly thought it was below average brass at best....