PDA

View Full Version : LRP build Tried 4 different scopes run out of left adjustment

Pages : 1 [2] 3

barrel-nut
12-28-2011, 07:39 AM
++++ ;)

sharpshooter
12-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Any bases that use fillister type screws have this problem. It's not a matter of "IF" they will move, it's just a matter of when.
Good bases use the tapered Weaver style screws that center in the hole when drawn up.

Ramdiesel
12-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Can you recommend some good ones?
Thanks

barrel-nut
12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
I prefer the Picatinny rail to traditional bases. It's stiffer and gives you more flexibility in scope/ ring placement. EGW makes good, reasonably priced rails.

Ramdiesel
12-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks again Barrel-nut

winstsa1
12-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Windage adjustable rings are a band-aid for a bigger problem. Who would build a nice rifle like this and put crap rings like Millet or Burris Z's. The Warnes are about as economical GOOD ring as there is,,There are lots better,go up in quality not down. Like I said if running out of windage you have other problems .... ???

fullersson
12-29-2011, 08:19 PM
+1 for EGW. I really like their stuff. Brian Brown.

efm77
12-30-2011, 07:06 AM
EGW's are nice and I have a couple but they don't make steel bases for the long actions which is why I put Warne's on my long actions. Just personal preference. As to Burris Zee or Signature Zee rings being crap? That's a new one on me, I think their quality is very good. Of course there are other more expensive rings out there though but I've never had a problem with Burris rings to make me think they're crap.

cwop
12-30-2011, 10:11 AM
neighbor is a champion shooter he swears by burris z rings he doesnt go for the grinding of the scope bases to accomplish what a burris ring will do!

he has shot for many many years.

bob

Eric in NC
12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
As to Burris Zee or Signature Zee rings being crap? That's a new one on me, I think their quality is very good. Of course there are other more expensive rings out there though but I've never had a problem with Burris rings to make me think they're crap.

+1

lal357
12-30-2011, 10:31 AM
i had a similar problem when a changed barrels i also swapped bases and rings the old rings and base centered good at 300yds.but when i put a egw 20moa base on with burris xtr rings the thing shot way right (1 1/2' @ 100yds) i turned the front ring around and got it close to center(good for right now ) i believe the base may be off after my feb f class match i'm going to replace it with something else. also going to lap the rings this time.

barrel-nut
12-30-2011, 12:30 PM
As others have mentioned before, "stacking tolerances" can lead to this sort of problem; ie if the base holes are off just a tiny bit, but still in spec, and then you happen to get a scope base that is off a little in the same direction, and rings likewise, suddenly you have a problem, even though no one piece may be truly out of spec for that manufacturer. Wow, what a run-on sentence!?!

I have a Weaver picatinny rail type base that I described in my previous post that uses filister head screws(thanks SS). Because of this, it has some inherent slop when the screws are loose, so in effect you can use this to your advantage to effect rough windage adjustments when setting it up, thereby canceling the effects of stacking tolerances. Just make sure to tighten these very well.

As SS stated above, with this type of design, there is always the risk of the base moving when the screws work loose even slightly. But, it hasn't moved yet after about 2 years, and the quality is very good for a $40 base, so I'll stick with it. I think it's actually a good choice for someone who's having problems such as what the OP described, as long as you're not depending on the rifle to defend life and limb. Or money.

Trent
12-31-2011, 01:52 AM
Windage adjustable rings are a band-aid for a bigger problem. Who would build a nice rifle like this and put crap rings like Millet or Burris Z's. The Warnes are about as economical GOOD ring as there is,,There are lots better,go up in quality not down. Like I said if running out of windage you have other problems .... ???

Care to substantiate that claim?? The Burris Z rings are fantastic. I use them on a few of my competition rifles (both centerfire and rimfire), and I would have no second thoughts about putting them on every rifle I own.

fyimo
12-31-2011, 11:18 AM
I was zeroing one of my 30-06 rifles yesterday that I had installed leupold scope base and rings on and at the range I ran out of scope adjustment and couldn't get the rifle to hit far enough to the right. I just loosened the rear windage screws on the mount and moved them in the direction needed and was able to zero the rifle and have adjustment left in both directions. So maybe the shooter needs to get a scope base with windage adjustments in it because there is a lot of side to side adjustment just in that part of the setup.

barrel-nut
12-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Tried to post picture guys, not too good with this stuff...
I really like the Burris Extreme Tacticool rings. Pic is these rings on an EGW 20MOA base. I have to disagree about the Burris rings being "crap". They don't have to cost $150 to be "quality". I bet if Burris boosted the price on these by about $100, suddenly a bunch of these guys would be singing their praises about these "quality" rings...

I hope Burris is not listening!

lal357
12-31-2011, 12:01 PM
lol i here that all the time barrel-nut even at the gun club i'm in when i go to the line some of the guys kinda look down at my savages (when they were stock) these are the same guys i beat in f-class each time. on my 223 i have a egw base (heard i should have gotten a farrel) burris extreme rings and a vortex crossfire (told its a cheap scope and will not hold up to get a leupold) holds true tracks true not as good as my sightron i have on my lrpv but cost 1000 less(i will replace in the future). oh and my red accutrigger that beaks at a smooth 8oz. .thier thinking is if you dont spend 3k on a custom gun its not a shooter .on thing i did start doing is use a scope alignment tool and lap the rings.

barrel-nut
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
One thing I discovered (the hard way) is that if you're gonna lap aluminum rings such as the XTR's, it better be a very LIGHT lapping job! Ask me how I know! :'(

I really like the rail system with these rings because it makes swapping scopes as easy as loosening two 1/2" nuts, swapping scopes, and retightening said nuts.

Keep whippin' em with those cheap savages lal357 ;D

i guess my picture didn't make the journey.... I never have figured this out.. HELP!

Coyotejunki
12-31-2011, 01:43 PM
A couple of my rifles have the fillister type screws. I bedded the 1-piece base to the rifle. I insert all four screws, but barely and I mean barely snug them down, so as not to warp the base, until it cures. Time will tell in my case if this is going to work.

Luckily my set-up worked the first try. If yours is off when you bed them, then I guess you are SOL..

I suppose you could bed the base and use a bore sighter to line up the scope before it all cures. Then when it is cured and you torque everything down, your scope has enough adjustment to put a true zero on it. My thought is if it is bedded it shouldn't move.

Hope you find a good answer either way.

fullersson
01-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Coyotejunki,
Attach your base and scope and sight the rifle in to make sure everything is working like you want. Mark the base and action so that when you bed the base you can line the marks up and you're good to go. Brian Brown.

stangfish
01-01-2012, 10:49 AM
One thing I discovered (the hard way) is that if you're gonna lap aluminum rings such as the XTR's, it better be a very LIGHT lapping job! Ask me how I know! :')

Dont have to. Messed up a set of Warnes' that way. Now I us never sieze to lap aluminum.