PDA

View Full Version : 100 to 200 fps FASTER than any conventional ammunition on the market

zeegadget
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.hornady.com/store/Superformance-NewAmmo

I wonder if they will ever let the powder come out for reloading.

Tom
SW Penna.

TechHunter
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
It would be interesting to put some of those loads through a chrono and confirm the advertised speeds. I've read several articles saying that most ammo manufacturers have a tendency to err on the plus side when it comes to publishing their loaded ammo speeds. As far as 7MM-08, I have pushed 140 grainers passed 2900 fps using Rel 17, no big mistery there.

hunter2
11-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Talked to the reps at the NRA conv.. Not likely!!!! They say it is also a special reloading technique. Bull..... I bought a couple of cases, pulled the bullet and inserted my own ( North Fork ). The claim is valid on the ones I have tried.. Looks like 870 ball powder, but not near as dirty.... The 7mm mag has 78 grains.

kweeks10045
11-21-2009, 11:40 PM
I guess their claim is correct in "conventional ammo", but not nearly so with handloads. In my 7 mag, I use an old Lyman load of 71gr of H4831 and get 3015 fps from my 110PL. The same load has been used for 30 plus years. In my Model 110 in 30-06, I use 59 gr. of IMR 4350 and get 2975 to 3005 fps with a 165 Sierra Gameking or Nosler BT. In fact, I just shot a 7 shot group with the BT and it went 1.03" at 100 yards. Looks a lot like the Hornady Light/Heavy Mag ammo. My published data loads matched if not exceeded the Hornady ammo in performance and accuracy.

efm77
11-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree that it looks a lot like the light/heavy magnum ammo. Just seems like a different name and more caliber offerings/bullet weights. May not be a big difference over handloads but it is a sight better than standard factory stuff. I wonder if they've over or understated their published numbers though. In the video on their website it shows Craig Boddington shooting 165 grain 30-06 loads and according to what he was saying the chrono showed, the numbers were a little higher than what Hornady claims for that load. All in all though Hornady makes good ammo at a fair price and I like the idea of it, especially for someone like me who has yet to get into reloading. I've been using the Heavy Magnum loads in my 338 and really like them. Guess I will switch to the Superformance when my stockpile runs out.

82boy
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I read/watched/listened to it, and sounds like a load of you know what to me.

Hornady pimped out their 204 ruger ammo when it came out, with statements that they had a special powder not available on the market and speeds of over 4200 fps. I have never seen any of their 204 ruger ammo that was even close to the advertised speed. I have heard tale after tale of people that have chronographed this ammo and could not even get close to the speed of the advertisement. Also I have seen people achieve similar (4200 FPS) speeds from a power that has been on the market for many many years, old tried and true 4895. I will avoid talking about the first batch's of 204 ruger brass they made. :(

I watched the commercial, and it sounds like the same old marketing campaign when the 204 ruger came out. They also said it was do to a new "special" bullet. The new gmx bullet. I am willing to bet it would not be hard to mimic their ammo with all the great stuff available in hand loading today.

efm77
11-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Could be, I've never ran it through a chrono myself. I have heard both stories from folks though. Some saying their velocity was higher and some lower. May have some bearing on different barrels.