PDA

View Full Version : Resizing 223 brass I need some advice from some experienced reloaders

Pages : 1 [2]

barrel-nut
01-02-2012, 06:05 PM
The failure to eject could just be a worn extractor. Lots of Savages develop this problem. Replacing the extractor usually helps- it cured mine. Midway USA sells these; a cheap fix if it works.

Ramdiesel
01-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I may be mistaken but I think he meant on the case, just forward of the head on the outside wall of the case

Oops I'll look when I get home in the morning. I'm at work

The failure to eject could just be a worn extractor. Lots of Savages develop this problem.

This is a brand new action & CBI barrel from Jim Briggs round count is 50

barrel-nut
01-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Mine was "born" that way too. Never did eject correctly, until I replaced the extractor. It would just pull the empty case out, and leave it in the action. Works nicely now though.

gotcha
01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Ram, before you re-head space consider this.... Measure your HD SP gauge w/ your comparator. Take a couple readings 'til you're comfortable w/ the measurement. Next, measure at least three pieces of your fireformed brass the same way (make sure you have removed the primers to get a correct reading) If your HD SP is correct the two measurements should be identical. The fired case may be a half thou. smaller due to the case contracting slightly after firing. You can de-cap by removing the de-cap pin from your die & gently tapping out the primers. If the fired case & the go-gauge match you're good to go. :).........Judging by the brass smeared on your bolt face you could have high pressure or it got that way from testing sized brass for fit. Either way you could have bits of brass under the extractor lip or in the extractor grooves in the bolt head. Disassemble the extractor in a zip lock & clean everything thoroughly. Also test the ejector spring for smooth function & clean the chamber in case any brass debris has gotten in there. Adjust shoulder set back to .002" & forget about "feel" of bolt closing. Your Savage will love you ;D

GaCop
01-04-2012, 05:52 AM
I may be mistaken but I think he meant on the case, just forward of the head on the outside wall of the case. This is where the case "web" ends and the sidewalls begin. The web is the thick part of the case head, like where the primer seats into.

That's correct, the cartridge case.

Ramdiesel
01-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Measure your HD SP gauge w/ your comparator. Take a couple readings 'til you're comfortable w/ the measurement. Next, measure at least three pieces of your fireformed brass the same way (make sure you have removed the primers to get a correct reading) If your HD SP is correct the two measurements should be identical. The fired case may be a half thou. smaller due to the case contracting slightly after firing.

We are good to go. I measured the HD SP gauge I get 1.640.(still under SAAMI) cases measure the same.
Thanks for everyones help. I now understand Headspace.

Blue Avenger
01-07-2012, 11:36 PM
If some of your range pick up is from an AR 15 you need to run it through a "small base" die to bring the bottom of the brass back to spec. Most normal full length dies only size the top 3/4 of the case. Sometimes you can spot AR brass by a small ding in the side of the case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/reloading/100_5172.jpg

I may be mistaken but I think he meant on the case, just forward of the head on the outside wall of the case. This is where the case "web" ends and the sidewalls begin. The web is the thick part of the case head, like where the primer seats into.

That's correct, the cartridge case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/headspacestretch-1.gif