PDA

View Full Version : trying to reload factory hornady 22 hornet

zap
12-26-2011, 10:24 PM
A friend of mine whom is not a member of this forum just purchased a model 40 hornet . He shot a mess of the factory hornady 35 gr v max ammo and tried to re size, but he said he cant push the primers out . He looked on the inside of the case and said he can see a very minute flash hole, so small, he does not think the pin will fit through the flash hole.

Are those cases designed to NOT be reloaded ??
Has anyone reloaded these cases without an issue ?

He has around of 30+ years of reloading experience, so I would have to believe what he is saying, but I personally did not see the inside of the fired cases.

Ramdiesel
12-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Hey Zap
I’ve had 2 hornets that I reloaded for never had that problem. I’ve had a few 223 cases that had splits where the hole was supposed to be actually pulled my pin out of my die

Son of the Gael
12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
The Hornady Hornet brass I have does not have that problem; it came from factory loaded 35 gr VMax about 3 years ago. FWIW I'm using Hornady dies.

GaCop
12-28-2011, 07:55 AM
A primer pocket uniforming tool would open up the flash holes eliminating loading problems with that brass.

zap
12-28-2011, 09:53 AM
He used his 6 ppc decapping pin and even it was getting stuck after it pushed out the primer. He said he got them all out.
He also said he is going to just buy some winchester or remington brass and be done with it.
Thanks for the replies.

Son of the Gael
12-28-2011, 02:44 PM
I suggest he get Remington, it seems to have a bit more interior volume. The oft-recommended 13 gr of Li'l Gun would hardly fit in other brands I have, but it's OK in Rem. YMMV

Also I checked the empty brass I have, some of the W-W brass had noticeably small flash holes than Frontier or Remington. Not too small for the punch, but smaller than "normal" (what ever that is).

zap
12-30-2011, 10:52 AM
He filed off a fedw thousands from his .06 pin, and it nocked out the primers.
Son of the Gael, thanks for the tip, i will pass the info.

Son of the Gael
12-31-2011, 06:02 PM
You are most welcome. Hornets are uber.