PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Mark on barrel & action?

loaders_loft
11-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Can someone please post a picture and explanation of how to make an alignment mark on your barrel at top dead center, for barrel swapping or for sending the barrel out for a muzzle break?

dcloco
11-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Remove the scope rings and bases, align a straightedge with the center of the holes in the receiver, and make a mark on your barrel.

loaders_loft
11-20-2009, 12:41 AM
cool, sounds simple enough. Thanks!

ellobo
11-20-2009, 02:40 AM
The mark is good for getting the barrel back in the ballpark, but set headspace with a guage or full length resized case.

El Lobo

ellobo
11-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Using a guage is the right way as matching marks is not as precise as you may think. I wouldnt rely on a mark to get back to proper headspace.

El Lobo

Dirk
11-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Headspace to a gnat's ass isn't as important as you make it out to be. A witness line is more than adequate!

hershey
11-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Headspace to a gnat's @$$ isn't as important as you make it out to be. A witness line is more than adequate!

i'll second that. on my f/tr i don't like to deal w/ the cheekrest remove/reinstall, i keep stripping the screw. i regularly use a mallet and screwdriver to loosen the nut and spin the barrel off still in the stock and scope still mounted. i clean it and re-install, my alignment is nothing more than leaving 1/2 turn of threads showing and putting the lettering on the barrel right on the edge of the stock. do it in front of the guys at the range and then go right back to shooting, itll blow their mind. especially when your still in the x-ring.