PDA

View Full Version : McGowen Barrels

randyu
11-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Has anyone had trouble with McGowen Barrels lately. I ordered a barrel in July and they told me that they had just moved and it might be awhile before they got it out. I called back after 12 weeks and they said they had shipped it to me on August 7. Obviously I didn't get it but I'm amazed that they don't send an email telling you its shipped. I have read other threads that complained about lack of communication from them. It has been more than two weeks since we started trying to figure out what to do and the only communication has been when I call them. No progress on what to do. It seems they still suffer from the inability to communicate with their customers.

sinman
11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
if your barrel was a 1/10" twist they had button problems, if it was a 20 cal they had material problems. Just keep calling them.

358Hammer
11-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

SO sorry for the problem! We can hope it will get better.

Neal

pdog06
11-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I personally have had nothing but good dealings with them, but others on here lately have had trouble and it definately seems the something in their customer service is lacking.

All you can do really is just keep tryin. Did they track the shipment to see where it ended up?

randyu
12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Update on my issue with McGowen Barrels. It is now December 2nd and my original post was November 19th. I have called McGowen back 4 times since the original post. On each occasion the employee I spoke with (same person each time but posting a name is not the right thing to do) said they would have to speak with their boss and get back with me. I have yet to hear the first word from them. All communication has been initiated by me. I'm still no closer to having a barrel. I'm sure they are a very reputable company but its a bit hard for me to see that when I'm being treated the way I am. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on who to talk with to get a resolution. :'(

1Shot
12-02-2009, 04:59 PM
...Time to cut your loses if you have'nt already paid for it & go with another brand..

358Hammer
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I know this doesn't help.
However, I got a phone call from a very long way from Kodiak, Alaska last night. The content of the phone call was, he ordered a barrel from McGowen 4 months ago and wanted to know what if anything I knew about what is going on at McGowen.

I advised him I quit ordering from them about the time he ordered for personal reasons.

If your card has been charged I would reverse and go somewhere else. That is a personal opinion and I have never had a bad dealing with the old McGowen crew.

Neal

randyu
12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Update to yesterday's note. I heard back from McGowen (same poor employee) last night. Fed Ex denied their claim (surprise?). I was told they were putting the order back on the production line and I should have my barrel in a couple of weeks (?). Here's to hoping no more issues arise. This was sure a very painful experience, much more than necessary in my opionion. :'(

tiny68
12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Update to yesterday's note. I heard back from McGowen (same poor employee) last night. Fed Ex denied their claim (surprise?). I was told they were putting the order back on the production line and I should have my barrel in a couple of weeks (?). Here's to hoping no more issues arise. This was sure a very painful experience, much more than necessary in my opionion. :'(

Wow.... that is amazing similar to my experience with them. BTW, "going back into the production line" was another +6 weeks for me. Sorry, I just could not trust anything they told me by the end of my experience with McGowen. Two strikes and I am out. They will not get another try from me. tim

sinman
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Ya they can't produce a barrel in 2 weeks thats for sure, it will be 6weeks even though they tell you its 2.

ole_270
12-05-2009, 09:47 PM
My S-I-L bought a McGowen barrel for his old 110 7 mag. about the same time. Told them he wanted the factory contour, received what must of been at least a #5. Sent it back to be recontoured and it came back fairly close to his original. It does shoot, 1st group was 160 Partitions over H4831SC and it was under 5/8"! 160 Accubonds also go well under MOA. Happy now, but it was touch and go for awhile.

McGowenRifle
12-07-2009, 06:44 PM
RandyU,
We do not typically call the customer when something ships unless the customer specifically asks us to. When we ship an item a copy of the original invoice is mailed to the customers address showing that the item had shipped. Unfortunately yes, FedEx did fail to honor the claim as they felt that it was delivered as promised, yet they didn't receive a signature for it. Upon learning that your barrel had been lost by FedEx the salesman should have reissued the order to the floor. From what I understand by reading your posts this did not happen and that was definately a failing on our part. Your order has been put back into process with strict instructions to put it through as quickly as possible. I obviously do not like to hear about problems occurring in the shop, shipping or the front office and we will address this so that it doesn't happen to others. If you have any other problems or issues please feel free to contact me personally. While I'm not always perfect, and can be a little cranky at times (right 358Hammer?) in the end I want everyone involved to be happy with what they receive both in product and service.

Regards,

Dan
McGowen Precision Barrels

Dennis
01-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Well Dan, I just put an order in for a 6.5x47L 28" 1-8twist barrel! You should be getting a call from my Baton Rouge dealer Monday. I am looking forward to building this gun. I am hoping I will have a tac driver. Much discussion took place on the 28" length, 30" and 32" came up. If you feel a 28" is not in order, LET me know ASAP. It's going on a Savage 12 VLP.

northlander
01-02-2010, 10:08 AM
As many of you are aware, I do work with McGowen Barrels as a Stocking Distributor. The majority of listed issues can be avoided if you order a barrel from my inventory. I try to maintain a sizable inventory of "On The Shelf Barrels" for customer orders. I also offer a $20.00 order discount for all drop ship orders if I do not have your exact barrel in stock.

That being said, if I can be of assistance just let me know.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Solothurn
01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I received my Mcgowan barrel at the end of December. Took 9 weeks. I ordered it through Northlander.