PDA

View Full Version : Painting barreled action?

BoilerUP
12-25-2011, 04:34 PM
After getting my Manners T2 & CDI DBM installed, I want to make my 10FP and CBI barrel a flat black color.

There's a local gunsmith who does firearm finishes and would charge me $100 to professionally Duracoat everything...but I'm thinking of trying a coat of Krylon Ultra Flat Black first to see how it looks. I figure if its bad I'll go ahead and do the Duracoat, if its good I'll shoot a coat of matte clear on it and use it for a while to see how it wears.

What I'm curious about is the details of painting a barreled action; I could just attack the thing but I want to do it "right". I understand for best results I need to prep the all metal via sandpaper or blasting, then make sure everything is cleaned & degreased.

Should I disassemble the Accutrigger & safety before painting, or just tape over them?

Should I remove the bolt from the rifle when I paint the barreled action, tape over the bolt in the rifle adn paint everything, or just shoot everything the same?

I plan on sticking an earplug into the barrel...should I be concerned about paint on the crown?

Thanks for the insight!

stangfish
12-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I recomend that you use a better finish than krylon to paint your barreled action. You can prep it yourself and use the Preval/Duracoat method.

Do a search for the Preval sprayer and refill propellant cans. Her is an example if you are not familiar. I got much better results with this than I did with my airbrush. I guess you could use Krylon and then paint duracoat clear over the top of it.

http://www.preval.com/sites/default/files/complete-unit.png

GaCop
12-26-2011, 07:07 AM
The one good thing about using Krylon is, when you are tired of it, spray the action/barrel down with brake cleaner and it will come off. As stated by Stangfish, there are better finishes that are far more durable.

I've used Krylon for camo jobs. I let it cure for at least a week after putting on two or more coats of clear matt. Harsh cleaning products will remove the Krylon if it gets on the finish.

bassandgrass
12-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Not an expert but when I painted my 10fp I removed the bolt and carefully taped everything but the outside surfaces. The earplug in the end worked well too.

stangfish
12-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Not an expert but when I painted my 10fp I removed the bolt and carefully taped everything but the outside surfaces. The earplug in the end worked well too.

Yep, Thats the ticket

brtelec
12-26-2011, 06:05 PM
There is certainly no reason not to shoot this barreled action yourself. I you shoot it with Krylon and it goes well there is nothing stopping you from Duracoating this rifle yourself also. I have used Duracoat and had good results, but for optimum durability I have resorted to paying someone to CeraKote my rifles lately. The baked on ceramic based coatings are just about indestructible. With the baking process required it is not something I can tackle at home.

124C41
12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I tie a washer to a string and run the string out the muzzle, then hang the thing from the ceiling by the string. Normally I'll take the trigger assemblies off, remove the bolt and tape off the areas where the bolt rides in the action. A bit of play dough in tiny areas that I don't want paint.

cwop
12-27-2011, 09:38 AM
that 100.00 sounds very reasonable after buying the materials and getting a disappointing job i would spend the 100.00 and be happy!!!!

bob

PKRobbins
12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
I recomend that you use a better finish than krylon to paint your barreled action. You can prep it yourself and use the Preval/Duracoat method.

Do a search for the Preval sprayer and refill propellant cans. Her is an example if you are not familiar. I got much better results with this than I did with my airbrush. I guess you could use Krylon and then paint duracoat clear over the top of it.

http://www.preval.com/sites/default/files/complete-unit.png

That is how this rifle was done. http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/bjfergpls/IMG_0440.jpg
Has been pretty tough so far, showing a little wear around the crown from riding in the truck.